lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #11
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Default Re: 88 ezgo rebuild

Oh........the only thing I did not do myself was swap out the barring and crank seals. The old barring where a bleep to get out so my buddy took it to his shop and put in the new barring a and seals. So I'm guessing that is the issue?
steelpenguin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #12
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Possibly.
Check all other possibilities first. See if it pushes easier in reverse to check brakes. Put it up on blocks, and see if the clutches are working in both directions.

The pulsar bracket has an indentation that lines up with the case. It should basically be centered between the 2 screws.

My brother just bought an 83. I'm on my way out to play with it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Possibly.
Check all other possibilities first. See if it pushes easier in reverse to check brakes. Put it up on blocks, and see if the clutches are working in both directions.

The pulsar bracket has an indentation that lines up with the case. It should basically be centered between the 2 screws.

My brother just bought an 83. I'm on my way out to play with it.
Yeah it's not the brakes. I'm going to work on it some more later tonight.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #14
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

It was the timing. She's running great now!
Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #15
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Okay I took the cart for a test run today and it ran great for about 10 mins. Then all the sudden it was acting like it was starving for fuel. I had to mess with the choke to get her home. I was going from no choke to full choke to half choke. I mixed 5gal 40 to 1 for this first tank. Maybe it's too much oil? Btw I removed the oil pump because I suspect it was broke. Help!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #16
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

My brother picked up an 83 over the weekend. It was doing the same thing. We cleaned the entire fuel system, and found a piece of rust in the needle jet after unscrewing it.

Ran great and stopped again an hour later. Fuel from pump is great, and runs on a shot of ether.
When I get a few minutes, the carb will come off again. I'm sure that another piece of dirt broke loose from somewhere, and is clogging the same jet. The bowl will most likely be empty of fuel.

Yours is probably the same way.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #17
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

I think that might be my problem. I took a quick look at it this morning before I went to work and I noticed that the main fuel filter had twice as much fuel in it as normal. So that is telling me that the fuel pump is working but it's not getting enough through the carb. Makes sense that I had to use the choke to get it to limp home last night. I just ordered the two filters and I have new line. I'll clean out the carb tonight but I won't start it until I get the new filters and lines installed. Hopefully I'll get the filters before the weekend. I just hope the pressure from the fuel not flowing through the carb did not blow the diaphragm in the fuel pump.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #18
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
My brother picked up an 83 over the weekend. It was doing the same thing. We cleaned the entire fuel system, and found a piece of rust in the needle jet after unscrewing it.

Ran great and stopped again an hour later. Fuel from pump is great, and runs on a shot of ether.
When I get a few minutes, the carb will come off again. I'm sure that another piece of dirt broke loose from somewhere, and is clogging the same jet. The bowl will most likely be empty of fuel.

Yours is probably the same way.
Any more luck with your brother's cart? My fuel filters will be here today and the new Carb will be here tomorrow. I think the fuel pump is fine but I will tear it down and clean it out just to be sure. I'll mess around and clean the old carb out. At least I'll have spare parts. It was only $27 so I figured why not.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:43 AM   #19
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpenguin79 View Post
Any more luck with your brother's cart? My fuel filters will be here today and the new Carb will be here tomorrow. I think the fuel pump is fine but I will tear it down and clean it out just to be sure. I'll mess around and clean the old carb out. At least I'll have spare parts. It was only $27 so I figured why not.

Yes, and no.
I let him clean it without being there.

He found the dirt, and put it back together.
Then he calls me, and says fuel is pouring out the vent hole.

I was thinking the float valve was stuck open. When I took it apart, the metering bolt would not come out of the bottom of the bowl. I knew that it did when I had it apart the first time.

Turns out he didn't like the way the bowl was sitting, so he coned in the bottom of the bowl for more grip.
Doing that blocked the side holes in the metering bolt. Fuel was getting into the float bowl, but couldn't get out. That's why it was pouring out the vent.

I flattened the bottom of the bowl, but the bolt was still stuck in it. The hole had gotten smaller.
It runs, but you can tell at 13mph it just falls on it's face like it is at part throttle. I know that I could mess with it more to get the fuel flow, but he ordered another one for $18 free shipping.
He's an electronics engineer, not a mechanic.

All of this got me to thinking about how many guys on here have had fuel coming out of the vent, and couldn't figure out why.
I wonder how many of them over torqued that bolt while installing the bowl, and blocked off the same orifice without knowing it.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #20
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Carbs for these are pretty cheap. I installed my new one today and all new fuel lines and filters. The cart is running great now.

Tags
1988 ezgo, 2pg, rebuild
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO