lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #11
LouisC
Getting Wild

Default Re: OBC Explosion

Yes I am putting in a Powerdrive 3 in this cube. There are (2) 6" x 8" vents- one on the bottom and one in the back. I believe it will get plenty of air.
LouisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisC View Post
Yes I am putting in a Powerdrive 3 in this cube. There are (2) 6" x 8" vents- one on the bottom and one in the back. I believe it will get plenty of air.
Ok. Just keep an eye on it. Club Car released a safety bulletin about this. It's crucial for the life of the charger and the safety of your building that you keep it as cool as possible. It gets much hotter than any other charger they've ever used.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #13
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Ok. Just keep an eye on it. Club Car released a safety bulletin about this. It's crucial for the life of the charger and the safety of your building that you keep it as cool as possible. It gets much hotter than any other charger they've ever used.

I found that out recently while using a PD3 Charger. They do get hot. Maybe it’s because of the small size so there’s not as much room around the transformer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:18 AM   #14
LouisC
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I will definitely keep an eye on it. The charger itself will be sitting right over the bottom vent which seems to be where the charger's vents are located as well. The cube will be about 15" off the ground (hopefully) allowing good air flow to the charger inside. Thanks for the advice...I do not want to compromise the effectiveness of the charger or cause a fire at the campground. I am just trying to make it easier on myself by having a "charging station" ready to plug in at the end of the day.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #15
LouisC
Getting Wild

I contacted Lester Electrical Technical support and explained what I had and what I had built to house my PowerDrive 3. I am sharing their response....

Louis,

The Power Drive Charger requires 3 inches of clearance in every direction to allow proper air flow. The charger does run hotter than room temperature but not extremely hot where it would be uncomfortable to touch the charger while its working. If the charger produces so much heat that you are unable to touch it while its in operation, there are other issues such as loose or bad connections to the battery that you may need to address.

The box that you have made should work fine.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisC View Post
I contacted Lester Electrical Technical support and explained what I had and what I had built to house my PowerDrive 3. I am sharing their response....

Louis,

The Power Drive Charger requires 3 inches of clearance in every direction to allow proper air flow. The charger does run hotter than room temperature but not extremely hot where it would be uncomfortable to touch the charger while its working. If the charger produces so much heat that you are unable to touch it while its in operation, there are other issues such as loose or bad connections to the battery that you may need to address.

The box that you have made should work fine.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #17
reeseman44
QualityCarts

Club Car

Cheap insurance ... small 120v fan on one of your vents.
reeseman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #18
LouisC
Getting Wild

do you think it should blow air into the cube and on the charger or suck air out of the cube ?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would put the fan on the Top blowing air out in order to remove trapped heat from the box.

I have a smart/energy saving surge protector with my PD3 charger plugged to the "Master" outlet and a regular fan plugged to one of the "Controlled" outlets.

The fan is pointing to the charger and anytime the charger is running, the surge protector "senses" it and turns the fan ON.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:51 AM   #20
reeseman44
QualityCarts

Club Car

I agree with Sergio. Remove the heat.
reeseman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car