lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Clubcar periodically goes into 8mph slow mode speed sensor already replaced

Also you need to go back to using a voltage reducer for your 12v accessories. Not using one WILL compromise the battery pack
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #12
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Default Re: Clubcar periodically goes into 8mph slow mode speed sensor already replaced

This sounds like a "main welded" fault issue. Provided the contactor is not actually welded; if it is a stock 1510 clubcar apparently had some issue where the controller was not reading the cap voltage vs the tow/run input voltage which resulted in a main welded fault. The effects of that fault don't become apparent until after you cycle the pedal.

More specifically
Run Mode > Key > Dir > throttle. the cart works fine.
Release throttle> solenoid opens > re-throttle. then the cart faults.
Cycle Town/Run > Key > Dir > throttle. cart works again.

Clubcar's quick-fix field solution seemed to be to put a diode in line with the tow/run into the controller. The voltage drop over this "widened" the acceptable voltage variance range preventing the fault. They actually have a harness adapter and official part number, though I don't have it on me.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
This sounds like a "main welded" fault issue. Provided the contactor is not actually welded; if it is a stock 1510 clubcar apparently had some issue where the controller was not reading the cap voltage vs the tow/run input voltage which resulted in a main welded fault. The effects of that fault don't become apparent until after you cycle the pedal.

More specifically
Run Mode > Key > Dir > throttle. the cart works fine.
Release throttle> solenoid opens > re-throttle. then the cart faults.
Cycle Town/Run > Key > Dir > throttle. cart works again.

Clubcar's quick-fix field solution seemed to be to put a diode in line with the tow/run into the controller. The voltage drop over this "widened" the acceptable voltage variance range preventing the fault. They actually have a harness adapter and official part number, though I don't have it on me.
Totally agree

The diode that you're speaking of is only for the early DS IQ car. The later DS IQ and all Precedent models are supposed to have the diode in the wire harness already. But that doesn't mean that the diode hasn't failed.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hold on, the harness is called "main drop out", not "main welded" right?

I never heard of anyone having that issue after the cart totally stopped and the solenoid opened.

That issue was when the controller was switching from "Regen" to "Motoring" and since the solenoid never opens in this case, the firmware incorrectly sensed a voltage differential it did not like and opened/dropped the solenoid, not put the cart in limp mode.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

I never heard of anyone having that issue after the cart totally stopped and the solenoid opened.

That issue was when the controller was switching from "Regen" to "Motoring" and since the solenoid never opens in this case, the firmware incorrectly sensed a voltage differential it did not like and opened/dropped the solenoid, not put the cart in limp mode.
You're right. I spoke too soon. Too early for me to be up I guess.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #16
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

In all my reading on this web site I have only read about two things that cause a cart to go into limp mode, or slow to 8 mph. One is speed sensor and the other is the solenoid sticking causing the controller to put cart in limp mode. From that I guess you could have a bad controller that could do the same thing.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

Ah hell, right, it was main something. The specifics of that situation:

Quote:
Voltage compared from B+ aux, pin 9 to the B+ bus bar. At armature current under 40A, and if the voltage drop exceeded 312 mV a main dropout is triggered

an external diode in the B+ Aux line. doubles the voltage differance
Still sounds like you are getting a main welded though based on the description of the issue. My previous suggestion just wont fix it...
Old 02-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

We all agree the issue is likely the Solenoid contacts are sticking/welded, I am glad David questioned if the OP had listed every part he ever changed or just the ones changed in an attempt to fix the problem.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #19
mjroman20
Gone Wild

One other fun fact; a main welded fault can be triggered by an issue with the pre-charge in a similar fashion to the main dropout. Internally the B+Aux pin from the tow/run feeds the cap bank through a pair of parallel bi-metal thermal switches and a diode. Again voltage on the cap bank being compared to the B+aux in every time the solenoid opens or is about to close.

That said if OP has eliminated the possibility of the solenoid sticking or welding, then either the external or internal precharge may be the next step.

Tags
club car 2013, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car