lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
GKLinMT
Not Yet Wild

Default Starting over - Electrical problems 1991 GXT800

I'm starting over on my electrical problems here gang and I could use some help with a pretty classic "no spark" problem.

This is a 1991 EXGO with a 295cc 4 stroke.

The wires had rotted off the original igniter so I bought a 40 dollar replacement form golfcartking.

It is wired as such:

Black wire = ground
Red and White wire = signal
Black and White wire = off line
White wire = power supply
Orange wire = discharge

The wire colors don't cross to the original schematic and I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me map them correctly.

Black ground is obvious.
Red and White signal goes to red/white from pulsar.
Black and white off line - I don't know where that one goes (I think it should be to pulsar)
White I believe goes to "D" on the solenoid along with the positive coil wire.
Discharge I don't know? Is that the other side of the coil? Do I have something mixed up?

I was an aircraft electrician in another life and I am hesitant to mix up the wiring and blow something up.

I have verified all my grounds back to the battery terminal and the common ground point. Solenoid is grounded, VR is grounded, starter and block both check ok for ground.

The symptoms I have are occasional spark when I press and sometimes when
I release the pedal. No continuous spark while it is cranking. I am also experiencing pretty heavy current draw on the ground terminal, the common ground point is getting warm to the touch with any extended cranking.

I'm pretty frustrated with what should be a simple wiring job.

Prior to my engine teardown I was able to get good hot spark with the igniter that fell apart FYI.

Sorry for the length of post.
GKLinMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Starting over - Electrical problems 1991 GXT800

I thought you were working on a 3pg 2 stroke. Your FnR switch is completely different from what I described. It is completely different from what I described in your other thread.

I can't help you. You will have to wait for a 4 stroke guy to mosey along.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO