lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
bigcmac
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: '98 CC DS - New Batts - Not charging correctly

UPDATE -

Just went out to reset obc and test charge again. This time it didn't work BUT I had the voltage reducer still connected. Could that cause interference with the OBC, really? It is starting to seem that way.... So I left the negative side disconnected for now and plan to remove the voltage reducer again to rule that as a possible issue. Will go back out later today and test again.
bigcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I have no idea why it would, but I may be missing something.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
bigcmac
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well it's not the voltage reducer. It's out of the equation completely and wouldn't take a charge. The batt indicator light starts it's on/off sequence. Feel like I'm back at square one. I plan to bypass the obc and see how it responds with the eric charger.

In the meantime, Could I borrow a neighbors charger from an 04 pres? Would it work enough just to compare results to my charger?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yes, any Powerdrive, 2, or 3 will work.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Assuming the connections at the charge receptacle are good, I think the OBC is toast.

The voltage reducer wont change the way the OBC charges. It can cause the OBC to under-charge the batteries over a period of time (several weeks to months) if the negative of the reducer is not connected to the B- terminal at the controller. The OBC should still have a normal charge sequence, running at least a few hours after using the cart.
I don't think 1-2 hours is enough.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
bigcmac
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The voltage reducer wont change the way the OBC charges. It can cause the OBC to under-charge the batteries over a period of time (several weeks to months) if the negative of the reducer is not connected to the B- terminal at the controller.
So I have it wrong - I have the neg from Voltage reducer going to the neg side of batt bank. I should move that to the B- terminal of the controller? I had no idea! Thank you!

I'm starting to think you're correct - I've been in denial cause I didn't want to have to purchase a new charger.....
Old 03-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #17
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You can certainly try a different charger, but bypassing the OBC will tell you basically the same thing as trying a different charger. Make sure the wire connections are good at the back of the charge receptacle. Give them a light tug and see if the wire ends are frayed or corroded where they go in the back of the receptacle. If any of the wires are damaged at the receptacle, replace the receptacle.

Assuming the OBC is bad, In the end you're better off with a new charger.
Better efficiency. Better charging based on more accurate charge profiles, and using a charge algorithm that is specific for your batteries will give them a longer service life.

If you remove and bypass the OBC entirely, then you can connect the reducer ground to either the pack negative terminal, or to the B- terminal at the controller. Either one works.
Having it at the controller B- terminal helps prevent corrosion of the wire and connector.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car