lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Fuel inlet solution for 82-87 owners

Nothing ground breaking, but this may help somebody.

The fuel inlet on my 2PG carburetor has been coming off for years. I’ve replaced the carburetor several times and every new carburetor I purchase (Cheap and expensive) have all suffered the same fate. Eventually, every one of them have worked their way loose and I end up with a big fuel mess, not to mention stranded somewhere in BFE. I’ve tried every repair I can possibly come up with. JB Weld, seal all, fuel tank patch, clamps and eventually resorted to zip ties to hold the darn thing on there. Obviously, every one of those solutions failed or just plain leaked during use. I got this idea from looking at the inlets on 1988 2pg carbs.

Here’s the fix… But only works if you still have your old Oiler . I abandoned mine years ago, but for some reason I decided to put the old oiler in a Ziploc and saved it. Not sure on the technical name of it, but I removed the round inlet port with the hollow mounting bolt from the oil injector. I then removed the inlet on the carburetor, as well as the brass inner tube that is supposed to hold the inlet to the carburetor. Used a 6mmX1.00 tap (to match the hollow mounting bolt) and threaded the fuel inlet port. No drilling necessary before tapping. The #9 drill bit fit perfectly in the fuel inlet port, so I moved straight to cutting threads.

After a good cleaning of the carburetor, I started messing with fitment. The hollow mounting screw has two small ports on opposite sides of the shaft. I marked on the screw head the location of the ports, and orientation. Put everything together, and tightened it down. Everything fired right up and doesn’t leak a drop. FINALLY! It doesn’t seem like too many owners have these issues, but I have run across a few other guys with the same issue on here. Maybe it will help.

The only thing I dislike is the orientation of the new inlet. I messed with various washers of different thickness to try to get the inlet to stand directly vertical upon tightening it down, but nothing worked quite right. Basically, I just called it good. Quite frankly, I’m so happy to have a carburetor that doesn’t leak that I don’t care how the inlet is oriented.

I should have abandoned these carburetors several carburetors ago and gone with the 1988 model instead. Just never got around to it.
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fuel inlet solution for 82-87 owners

A few more pics...
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fuel inlet solution for 82-87 owners

Very nice mod, I had one of my carbs do that. Dang thing came off completely once and shot fuel everywhere it shouldn't be, a dangerous situation.

Like you did I tried a few things to keep it in place but finally went with a new carb, also went with the tinted light weight fuel line instead of the big black old fashion clamp needing stiff stuff that puts a lot of stress on that fitting, haven't had a problem since. Although that tinted light weight line really doesn't need a clamp I've been putting little tiny zip ties on it to be sure

Btw, it's called a Banjo fitting. it won't matter on the orientation of the little port holes, the fitting should be able to go in any direction
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO