lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 burning oil

hello all,

Ive got a 2005 txt with the robin 295 that smells like its burning oil... got it used and it had been monkey'd with so i replaced the carb with a new OEM one. It runs great and compression checks out at around 165 per cylinder but i definitely smells like oil burning and every once in awhile i can see a small puff of white/blue out the exhaust on start up....

Any ideas where to start looking? I wouldn't think the rings were allowing blow-by with compression that good?

Thanks!
madscientistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2005 burning oil

Is it lifted? If so the dipstick is usually wrong. Drain the oil then put just under 1.5 qts back in.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

Nope totally stock height
madscientistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Unfortunately, There are a lot of cart owners that don't adhere to good service habits and it's hard to tell when you are shopping.
You mention the occasional puff of smoke at start up, that tends to be tired valve guide seals. Are you mechanically inclined? If you are remove the valve cover and inspect the adjustable rocker studs, are the threads above the locknut pretty even?
If they are you can easily replace the valve seals while in the cart.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #5
bgood
Not Yet Wild

Had a similar problem on a 92 -- Make sure the crankcase vent hose is not restricted. Mine was and would smoke occasionally.
bgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO