lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default HELP! Need advice with wiring a 36V Controller/HD Solenoid upgrade!!!!!!

Forum gurus,

I need some help. I have a 1992 CC that had the V-glide and coiled resistor system. I recently purchased the following:

Alltrax AXE4845 400 amp controller
MZJ 400S HD Solenoid
5774 HD F/R Switch
4 gauge cables
PB-6 throttle box

I am using this schematic from Alltrax:

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...6-wire-dia.pdf

Here's my problem. I can get over 36 volts to the large solenoid contacts. I get over 36 volts to the controller studs. I get over 36 volts to the F/R switch.

I can't get the small wiring correct. Right now I have one wire (red) from the key switch hooked up to the positive battery cable. The other key switch wire (blue) is hooked up to the top lug on the F/R micro. The F/R micro bottom lug wire goes to the field secondary solenoid side. Also mounted on the secondary side is a small cable that goes to Controller B-.

On the primary side of the field solenoid, I have one wire from the PB-6 switch. Also on the primary side is a wire that goes to the Controller's 'key on' lug. And finally, the common lug on the PB-6 is wired to the black wire from the fuse. This wire originally hooked to the micro on the V-glide.

The reverse buzzer is hooked up to the left large contactor on the solenoid. When I contact the last battery cable to the circuit, the buzzer will sound for a few seconds, and then slowly die out. I think that this is a function caused by the pre-charge resistor, but I'm not sure.

If I turn the key switch on, the Controller LED never lights. It should come on as soon as the key switch is turned on, correct?

As soon as I flip the F/R switch, it blows the micro.

I've stopped at this point because I am at a loss. I need some help!!!!

Would someone please chime in with some advice?
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default Re: HELP! Need advice with wiring a 36V Controller/HD Solenoid upgrade!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xact1 View Post
Forum gurus,

I need some help. I have a 1992 CC that had the V-glide and coiled resistor system. I recently purchased the following:

Alltrax AXE4845 400 amp controller
MZJ 400S HD Solenoid
5774 HD F/R Switch
4 gauge cables
PB-6 throttle box

I am using this schematic from Alltrax:

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...6-wire-dia.pdf

Here's my problem. I can get over 36 volts to the large solenoid contacts. I get over 36 volts to the controller studs. I get over 36 volts to the F/R switch.

I can't get the small wiring correct. Right now I have one wire (red) from the key switch hooked up to the positive battery cable. The other key switch wire (blue) is hooked up to the top lug on the F/R micro. The F/R micro bottom lug wire goes to the field secondary solenoid side. Also mounted on the secondary side is a small cable that goes to Controller B-.

On the primary side of the field solenoid, I have one wire from the PB-6 switch. Also on the primary side is a wire that goes to the Controller's 'key on' lug. And finally, the common lug on the PB-6 is wired to the black wire from the fuse. This wire originally hooked to the micro on the V-glide.

The reverse buzzer is hooked up to the left large contactor on the solenoid. When I contact the last battery cable to the circuit, the buzzer will sound for a few seconds, and then slowly die out. I think that this is a function caused by the pre-charge resistor, but I'm not sure.

If I turn the key switch on, the Controller LED never lights. It should come on as soon as the key switch is turned on, correct?

As soon as I flip the F/R switch, it blows the micro.

I've stopped at this point because I am at a loss. I need some help!!!!

Would someone please chime in with some advice?
you need to look at that wiring diagram and look at post #1 and post#2 of the solenoid. Im not familiar with primary and secondary field solenoid terminology you are using... but if I read your description right..it sounds like you went from battery thru key, thru micro, to solenois terminal and then to B- on same terminal. Thats a DIRECT SHORT!. That wiring diagram doesn't even show a f/r micro switch. So My thought here would be to run the blue wire out of the f/r switch to the micro in the PB-6, and then out of the pb-6 to the solenoid. The other small solenoid stud gets wired to B- on the controller. This way requires both switches to be activated before the power will be sent to the solenoid. There are other ways of wiring but this one will work as well.
Now, the small terminal of the solenoid that has the wire on it from the micros and key switch....another wire will go from that terminal to the #1 small terminal contact on the controller.
lets start with that
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: HELP! Need advice with wiring a 36V Controller/HD Solenoid upgrade!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
you need to look at that wiring diagram and look at post #1 and post#2 of the solenoid. Im not familiar with primary and secondary field solenoid terminology you are using... but if I read your description right..it sounds like you went from battery thru key, thru micro, to solenois terminal and then to B- on same terminal. Thats a DIRECT SHORT!. That wiring diagram doesn't even show a f/r micro switch. So My thought here would be to run the blue wire out of the f/r switch to the micro in the PB-6, and then out of the pb-6 to the solenoid. The other small solenoid stud gets wired to B- on the controller. This way requires both switches to be activated before the power will be sent to the solenoid. There are other ways of wiring but this one will work as well.
Now, the small terminal of the solenoid that has the wire on it from the micros and key switch....another wire will go from that terminal to the #1 small terminal contact on the controller.
lets start with that

oxfordlawn,

Thanks for replying

OK, so you're saying to leave the blue wire on the top lug of the F/R switch. Then, run the other F/R switch wire to one lug of the PB-6, and then run the other lug wire from the PB-6 back to the solenoid on the #1 side (this is what I called primary). Also run a wire from the Controller to this side as well.

On the #2 side (this is what I called secondary) run the wire from B- on Controller.

Does this sound correct?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
oxfordlawn,

Thanks for replying

OK, so you're saying to leave the blue wire on the top lug of the F/R switch. Then, run the other F/R switch wire to one lug of the PB-6, and then run the other lug wire from the PB-6 back to the solenoid on the #1 side (this is what I called primary). Also run a wire from the Controller to this side as well.

On the #2 side (this is what I called secondary) run the wire from B- on Controller.

Does this sound correct?
YEs..on my cart it is a yellow wire coming out of the f/r micro. Run that to the pb-6 switch, then another wire out of pb-6 to the solenoid(as you stated) I think you got it!

Look at this manual..has some good info but dont let ti confuse you
http://curtisinst.com/index.cfm?fuse...&file=1209.pdf
Old 07-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

How about the small black wire that originally went to from the fuse receptacle to the V-glide?

Do I hook it up to the middle lug of the PB-6 because I'm using the common lug for the F/R wire and the third lug for the solenoid #1 wire?

Or, is there something that I'm missing?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
How about the small black wire that originally went to from the fuse receptacle to the V-glide?

Do I hook it up to the middle lug of the PB-6 because I'm using the common lug for the F/R wire and the third lug for the solenoid #1 wire?

Or, is there something that I'm missing?

No forget about that wire. that was used as a switch on the ground(secondary) side of the solenoid wires. But you are now running the power thru both switches instead of 1 switching powerr and the other switching ground. So forget about that black wire, that was the old grounding path for the old solenoid system---understand??
Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK,

I replaced the F/R micro and wired everything accordingly. Now, when the key is turned, the F/R switch is turned to F, and the throttle is pressed, the large solenoid contacts click and the controller green LED lights up.

However, I have no power to the wheels (yes, the cart is on jackstands I actually had momentary power to the wheels (for a split second), and it looked as though the wheels spun in reverse.

The two large cables (A2 and M-) from the bottom of the F/R switch are very warm. I checked the connections and they are good. Can it be that these cables should be reversed? Perhaps the picture of the Reverse Switch (I am assuming that this is the F/R Switch) in the diagram are showing the connections from the backside. I had assumed that this was a front view.

The F/R switch has 4 contacts on the backside. I am only using the bottom 2 for A2 on the left, and M- on the right. When you turn the switch to F, S1 touches the upper right contact and A2 touches the lower left contact.

When you turn the switch to R, S2 touches the top left contact and M- touches the bottom right contact.

Every other large cable is hooked up exactly as the diagram shows.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

GOOD NEWS ...... I checked the Alltrax diagram and it looks like it will work!

Yes the view of the F&R is from the rear as you would see it. Lets start describing wires by their function and or where they go and what they do instead of by color..... the blue wire means nothing to me. The small blue wire that feeds the microswitch from the key does. Only then can anyone help you staighten this out.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

scottyb,

The blue wire that I was referring to is the blue wire for the F/R microswitch.

If the view of the Reverse Switch on the diagram is from the backside, then I have A2 and M- reversed, and S2 and S1 reversed.

What do you think?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Got Pictures of how you have wiring RUN ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car