lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
J R
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default BBQ Muffler Now What?

Hopefully someone out there can help me out on this one. I have an 82 G1. I BBQed the muffler. It flamed for 45 minutes, left it on for two hours. After it cooled there appeared to be a lot of loose junk inside. I shook as much as I could out, but there still was a conciderable amount in it. I attempted to flush it out with water and shaking but there was still some left in it. I had to put it back on so it could be used after a thorough drying. Cart ran great for a few weeks then had to put it up for the winter. We got it back out the other day and it is starting to get sluggish again. I believe I still have a problem with the muffler. Is there anything that can aid in cleaning this out? I plan on BBQing again and want to get all the stuff out this time.
J R is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: BBQ Muffler Now What?

Sounds like you may need to just get a new muffler. Flushing out with water may have caused it to rust a little and then clog up even more. But it really sounds like the muffler has just about had it. If you know a good welder, you could even have him cut it open, clean it, and weld it back together. Just a thought.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

You could cut an opening in the body of it then weld it closed after cleaning.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
J R
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Spriddle and TheNewGuy thanks for the reply. I knew I was rolling the dice when I tried flushing it out, but I had to get it back in operation. We actually use it on the golf course!? After flushing it with the water I followed it up with compressed air then put it on and immediately drove it around in hopes of fowling it some to prevent rusting. The kids had a blast driving it constantly for an hour so it was good and hot. After the intital BBQ I could barely get any flow through it because there was so much stuff in it. When I flushed it I got about a coffee can of rust and crude out. I was hoping that someone may have similar problems and had another solution as an new one is almost impossible to find. Before cutting it apart I didn't know if anyone had tried spraying anything in to help dissolve the junk? I am thinking of spraying a bunch of oven cleaner in it and having another BBQ. I am going to try to do something this weekend so if anyone has any ideas let me know.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R View Post
Spriddle and TheNewGuy thanks for the reply. I knew I was rolling the dice when I tried flushing it out, but I had to get it back in operation. We actually use it on the golf course!? After flushing it with the water I followed it up with compressed air then put it on and immediately drove it around in hopes of fowling it some to prevent rusting. The kids had a blast driving it constantly for an hour so it was good and hot. After the intital BBQ I could barely get any flow through it because there was so much stuff in it. When I flushed it I got about a coffee can of rust and crude out. I was hoping that someone may have similar problems and had another solution as an new one is almost impossible to find. Before cutting it apart I didn't know if anyone had tried spraying anything in to help dissolve the junk? I am thinking of spraying a bunch of oven cleaner in it and having another BBQ. I am going to try to do something this weekend so if anyone has any ideas let me know.
Oven cleaner might work. Let us know. Sure won't hurt to try or at least I wouldn't think it would.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #6
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You have probably burned up the combustable gunk that was plugging your muffler and are left with the solid ash and clinkers. Oven cleaner may break it up for you, but I think you are going to have to cut the muffler apart and physically pull them out of there. You can also clean out any passages and baffles that are restricted. Shouldn't be too big of a job. Either that or look around for a replacement muffler.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
J R
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys. I will let you know how I make out. If anyone else has any suggestions before the weekend let me know.

J. R.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
J R
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

OK. I sprayed the inside of it down with a bunch of bbq grill cleaner and sprayed in as much oven cleaner as I could. Let it sit for a while then threw it on the fire. Cooked it for four hours. Took it off the next morning. It had gotten so hot the half coupling where the oil system tube goes in actually came off. I had to dig around in the coals with a magnet to get it back. I shook a lot of junk out of it. There still appears to be some stuff that I can not shake out, but there is a huge difference in the amount of resistance to air flow. Cleaned it up welded on the half coupling, painted it up and put it back on. Cart runs much better. Next I need to replace the crank seals.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
rkggoodman
Not Yet Wild

do what ron said , i did and all the **** came out, use a mig or tig welder no arch
rkggoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha