lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
Malee
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Traction & Diffs

I have had a first taste of the cart world while rebuilding my first one. (no doubt, i am hooked on building an off-roader)

My first real priority is getting traction. I have done the search here but didnt come up with much but I may have overlooked something. I did see A few blokes tossing the mini-spool idea around, which is fine by me if it will steer on dirt.

My question is: Will it turn if i weld the diff into a locked system?
Would I be better of using a duel brake system (like a tractor) manualy locking the spinning wheel to grab traction on the gripping tyre? (yes that is how TYRE is spelled in my land)

"My other toy is an 8X8 Argo, my offroad expectations are high"
Malee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Traction & Diffs

The welded rear will work well on dirt, but not very well on pavement. There are several threads on that subject--one not too long ago. Do a search--there was good info there.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

"My other toy is an 8X8 Argo, my offroad expectations are high"

I had to google. That thing looks wild
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

the duel brakes would probably work as long as they could hold the spinning tire so the one with grip will go. it wouldn't be had because there are left and right brake cables comming from the drums to the petal.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Malee
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
the duel brakes would probably work as long as they could hold the spinning tire so the one with grip will go. it wouldn't be had because there are left and right brake cables comming from the drums to the petal.
Yeah I think it would be the easiest option, and its a good base to start with having two cables already at your feet. It would also help with tight turns. I will leave the welded diff for now(untill I throw more HP at it).
Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

3 things:

I have a welded diff in my cart and it works great in the dirt/rocks but tears up the grass and skids the inside tire on sharp(only very sharp) turns as you would expect....no real probs on pavement besides that though.

I like the way you all spell tyre.

Is the 8x8 argo amphibious?
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
Malee
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz View Post
3 things:

I have a welded diff in my cart and it works great in the dirt/rocks but tears up the grass and skids the inside tire on sharp(only very sharp) turns as you would expect....no real probs on pavement besides that though.

I like the way you all spell tyre.

Is the 8x8 argo amphibious?
Everywhere i go camping & shooting is very rough and rocky. While the wheel brakes will work for the uneven areas I will eventualy weld the diff.

The Argo is amphibious but it only gets short swims to run creeks. I just brought a new Honda gx690 for it, so the old briggs twin 16 is looking for a new home. (i see one transplanted on here) I also have a liquid cooled Honda GX360 that I think It will get the nod for the cart over the briggs. I will be putting a couple of sport seats in the Yami too.

Too many ideas, not near enough time or skill

Tags
differentials, locker, lsd, posi trac
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha