lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
aczlan
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 TXT DCS w/Curtis controller will not move after being towed in run mode

We have a 1999 EzGo TXT (per the tag in the glove box which starts with J399) with DCS controls that has a Curtis PMC controller P/N 73144G06 (has had it for at least 14 years).

We had a family member in town who took it for "one last ride" out back and ran out of battery about 600' from the house.

My nephew took another golf cart out and towed it back to the house (about 600') without putting it into tow mode.

Since then, it will not move and the battery level indicator (which always glowed dimly when not in tow mode) only glows now when it is not in tow mode.

I went through the troubleshooting instructions at: https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=47593 specifically:
EZGO.jpg
Here are my results:
Test 1 - Controller B+ had pack voltage (36.8V +/-0.2V)
Test 2 - Pin 10 had pack voltage (36.8V +/-0.2V)
Test 3 - Pin 9 had pack voltage (36.8V +/-0.2V)
Test 4 - Pin 5 had pack voltage (36.8V +/-0.2V) with the accelerator pedal depressed, but the solenoid did NOT click when the pedal was depressed, I could hear the switch by the pedal click as I pushed down the pedal, but that was all
Test 5 - Pin 7 had 0 volts
Test 6 - Pin 2 had 27.8V (expected 14-15VDC)
Test 7 - Pin 1 had 10.63V (expected 0.4-1.5V)

Does this mean that the controller and the inductive pickup for the pedal are bad, or is there something else I should do for troubleshooting before spending hundreds of dollars on a new controller?

Thanks

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2021, 12:45 AM   #2
aczlan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1999 TXT DCS w/Curtis controller will not move after being towed in run mode

Bump, anyone have any suggestions?

Aaron Z
Old 09-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #3
aczlan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1999 TXT DCS w/Curtis controller will not move after being towed in run mode

Lets see if the 3rd time is a charm and if this goes through without a "security token expired" error losing everything I typed this time.

I talked to Curtis and they said that its likely fried and recommended FSIP to rebuild it. Looking I see three options:
1. Have FSIP (or someone else) rebuild it, should be $190ish plus shipping
Should be plug and play, but risk the same damage in the future and still no low voltage cutoff

2. Order a Curtis 1205M-5603 from Nocoev for $280ish
Pluses: Can set low voltage cutoff, could be reprogrammed (would need a programmer), makes possible future upgrades if I wanted to. Might be able to sell the controller as a rebuildable core?
Cons: Will need to rewire, would want to find the male side of the molex connector so it was plug and play vs cutting wires.

3. Order a Chinese Curtis 1205M-5603 from Alibaba or eBay for $160ish
Pluses: Can set low voltage cutoff, could be reprogrammed (would need a programmer), makes possible future upgrades if I wanted to. Might be able to sell the controller as a rebuildable core?
Cons: Possible Chinese QC issues, will need to rewire, would want to find the male side of the molex connector so it was plug and play vs cutting wires.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these options?

This cart has a rear bench, 20x8.00R10 tires and 4 gauge wires, otherwise its stock. It sees small hills and 4 adults on it from time to time.

Aaron Z
Old 09-12-2021, 04:15 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would recommend a aftermarket Alltrax controller, fits out of the box and is fully adjustable by yourself with PC / Laptop. More speed / torque included!
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
aczlan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
I would recommend a aftermarket Alltrax controller, fits out of the box and is fully adjustable by yourself with PC / Laptop. More speed / torque included!
Editing with a laptop would be great, but I don't want more speed/torque with kids (my kids and their cousins) driving it, this is already the fastest cart here (other than possibly my inlaw's 48V RXV), I might actually turn the top speed down a little.

I looked at the Alltrax and its triple the price of the Chinese Curtis and almost twice the price of the US Curtis, not seeing the value in spending that much more when I do not want to increase performance, just restore the same functionality and possibly make upgrading to 42v or 48v possible down the road.

Aaron Z
Old 09-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Suggest you remember which drive system your cart has before ordering replacement controllers that won't work with the motor in cart.

Hint: A Curtis 1205 controller is for a series drive.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I understand, but especialy for the kids, the Alltrax is perfect. You can store up to 3 driving profiles, adjusting speed and acceleration to your needs. And any troubleshooting is very easy due to realtime monitoring. I've paid 420$, so it's a little bit more.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My first cart was a '99 TXT DCS and If i remember right, it was a sepex drive...?
Old 09-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If it is a 99 with a run/tow switch it is probably a DCS but would validate that before ordering anything. Did you check the solenoid? Chances are it took out the controller but I have seen this just take out the solenoid.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:24 AM   #10
aczlan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Suggest you remember which drive system your cart has before ordering replacement controllers that won't work with the motor in cart.
Hint: A Curtis 1205 controller is for a series drive.
Ah, I had just looked at the pin names on the motor and didn't realize that both Series and SepEX used the same 4 pin names (A1/A2 & S1/S2). Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
If it is a 99 with a run/tow switch it is probably a DCS but would validate that before ordering anything.
It is a DCS cart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Did you check the solenoid? Chances are it took out the controller but I have seen this just take out the solenoid.
Good point, there was not voltage on the blue wire that feeds the solenoid, but will have to take a look and verify that its good as per https://shop.fsip.biz/Image/GetDocument/en/157 an open solenoid coil can cause 0 volts there.

Aaron Z
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO