lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2022, 12:53 PM   #1
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 36 volt ez go/ curtis controller wont move

The solonoid clicks, I have the correct voltages from accelerator box. I have the pack voltage when i push the pedal the solonoid clicks but the voltage between B- and B+ stays at pack voltage. I read its suppose to go to zero. Im at a loss. It doesnt appear to have a run tow switch anywhere I can find. Cant find the year of the cart due to no tag anywhere I can find Looks pretty new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (33.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (2).jpg (24.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (97).jpg (23.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (33.9 KB, 0 views)
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2022, 01:03 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 volt ez go/ curtis controller wont move

You've got test points and expected results confused.

B- to B+ should stay at pack voltage.
B- to M- should start at pack voltage and decrease to 0V as pedal is pressed.
M- to B+ should start at 0V and increase to pack voltage as pedal is pressed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:37 PM   #3
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

so sorry wrote it wrong and thanks a ton for responding so fast working on it now!!!!!!!! Your correct ok here it is!!!
B- B+ no change pack voltage
B- M- no change pack voltage maybe half volt jump up
M- B+ 0 volts
Old 01-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the voltage between B- and M- starts at pack voltage when solenoid clicks, but does not decrease as pedal is pushed, it tells me the high amps circuit is intact, but either the throttle or controller is bad.

Check the ITS (throttle) voltages to the controller.

If it checks out good, the controller is bad. Replace it with an Alltrax SR48400 or larger user programmable controller.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:52 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Also check for a 4 pin molex plug going to the throttle box and make sure the connections are good.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I dont have the four pin molex connector. Just the spade connectors J1 J2 and J3. What should the throttle voltages be and where do you take them? I did a reading on the pins J1 2 and 3 disconnected from the throttle inductive pickup assembly. I swapped a new throttle assembly in and continuity checked the wires and micro switch all good. I used the negative meter lead on B- and had key voltage on J3 and I think .4 to .7 volts on pin 2 when the pedal was pressed from off to full throttle.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:26 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Looks like you have a Curtis 1205 controller connected to a 36V battery pack. If so, measure the ITS voltage on the white wire at the controller (with all wires connected).

Should get 1.4V to 1.8V when solenoid clicks and 2.4V to 2.8V when pedal reaches floor.

Attached is a schematic for your drive system.

----------
Also, unless it has been bypassed your cart does have the 4-pin in-line connector kgsc was referring to. You have the push-on spade connectors on the controller instead of 6-pin (4 used) found on the more commonly used Curtis 1206 controller, but kgsc is talking about the in-line connector at the end of the gray cable coming out of the pedal box. That connector is the source of a lot of throttle issues and should be eliminated.

Cut it off and connect the four wires using individual solder joints or butt splices and waterproof the connections with marine grade (adhesive filled) shrink tubing.

-------------------

I noticed the black, white and yellow wires are not landed on the correct spade lugs.

You've got Yellow on J3 and it should be on J1

J1 thru J3 ought to be Yellow, Black, White.

The orange wire (half speed reverse) on the other side is correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36V 1205 schematic.JPG (84.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

one last attempt going to give it back as I failed. Any more ideas before I throw in the towel? One thing I do see is an un landed white wire off battery number ones positive terminal. a white wire going no where with a female spade on the end . Went through the schematic a dozen times all looks good. There are four wires on number one battery positive terminal 3 landed except the white one I mentioned.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:50 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

First thing is to make sure the controller is wired correctly. (I'm pretty sure the way it is wired in the picture is wrong. J1 is KSI, J 2 & 3 are throttle)

Then make sure the needed voltages are present on the correct pins at the proper times.

KSI pin has to have B+ on it for the controller to power up.

----------
White wire: There is typically a heavy (10Ga) white wire from the battery pack's main positive terminal to the charging receptacle. Also, a reed switch bypass often ties to the main positive.

-------------
Here is a Curtis 1204/5 manual. Lots of good info including controller theory of operation that can be generically applied to just about all DC controllers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Curtis Controller 1204_05 manual.pdf (415.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-11-2022, 04:50 PM   #10
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

ok with the negative meter lead on last battery negative post in the pack and other meter lead on white wire I have .285 volts before solonoid click then .36 after click to the floor. It has the pack voltage on the yellow wire ( spade # 1) when the solonoid clicks. Does it mean controller is shot?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO