lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2021, 09:02 PM   #11
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Angry Re: 2006 Club Car DS OBC Bypass for Li Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Electric carts should never ground to the chassis of the cart.
I have this same setup here and I grounded a the controller by pulling a negative cable from the frame post (to the right of the solenoid) to the B- on the Navitas controller. Before I did that the “on the fly controller” was flashing the red light 3 times every three seconds and the reverse beeper would beep with the lights. But no issues after I grounded it, everything worked great. I mean my old controller was wired like that.

Should I move that off of the frame and put it on my negative bus bar?

Photo was pre OBC removal
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DE4ECAFB-2D3D-49FD-B376-B2534AD7963D.jpeg (508.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg BCC1B70D-3905-4F14-B58E-5B704E16A45C.jpeg (348.8 KB, 0 views)
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #12
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Club Car DS OBC Bypass for Li Battery

I have everything wired up, but the Navitas is not working, nor is the solenoid firing, so soemthing's not right. The On the fly controller is not lighting up. I can't connect my phone to the Navitas controller (or the Extreme Team battery pack).

The battery is showing 100% charged. The 12V from the battery works, and I have lights/horn/turn signals.

I have a little over 53V at the battery and across the large solenoid terminals without the accelerator depressed. (I have the 400A solenoid).

Here's a picture of how the Navitas and solenoid are wired, as well as a picture of the old solenoid wiring. I followed the same wiring on the solenoid as my old set-up except for eliminating the resistor, which the Navitas doesn't need. It looks like my solenoid is wired opposite MMaXeD-OuT-CLUB's, but I don't think that should matter (are solenoids sensitive to polarity)?

The blue and white OBC harness wires are butt-spliced so there shouldn't be an issue with the charge detection.

Hopefully it's something simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0758.jpg (150.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Old Solenoid.jpg (77.6 KB, 0 views)
ACHiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:33 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXeD-OuT-CLUB View Post
I have this same setup here and I grounded a the controller by pulling a negative cable from the frame post (to the right of the solenoid) to the B- on the Navitas controller. Before I did that the “on the fly controller” was flashing the red light 3 times every three seconds and the reverse beeper would beep with the lights. But no issues after I grounded it, everything worked great. I mean my old controller was wired like that.

Should I move that off of the frame and put it on my negative bus bar?

Photo was pre OBC removal
In an attempt to not hijack the thread, you should start a new one

But for electrical conductivity and safety reasons, the electrical system of the golf cart should be completely isolated from the frame. They do this in HV systems in automotive as well.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:42 PM   #14
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
In an attempt to not hijack the thread, you should start a new one

But for electrical conductivity and safety reasons, the electrical system of the golf cart should be completely isolated from the frame. They do this in HV systems in automotive as well.
Cp my attentions was not to high jack any thread, I was just asking to make sure I wouldn’t ruin anything in the long run.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #15
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
I have everything wired up, but the Navitas is not working, nor is the solenoid firing, so soemthing's not right. The On the fly controller is not lighting up. I can't connect my phone to the Navitas controller (or the Extreme Team battery pack).

The battery is showing 100% charged. The 12V from the battery works, and I have lights/horn/turn signals.

I have a little over 53V at the battery and across the large solenoid terminals without the accelerator depressed. (I have the 400A solenoid).

Here's a picture of how the Navitas and solenoid are wired, as well as a picture of the old solenoid wiring. I followed the same wiring on the solenoid as my old set-up except for eliminating the resistor, which the Navitas doesn't need. It looks like my solenoid is wired opposite MMaXeD-OuT-CLUB's, but I don't think that should matter (are solenoids sensitive to polarity)?

The blue and white OBC harness wires are butt-spliced so there shouldn't be an issue with the charge detection.

Hopefully it's something simple.

Try wiring it like mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F687ADC2-224D-4375-A2B1-8DDD6DFAD9A8.jpg (178.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:10 PM   #16
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Try wiring it like mine.
What did you do with the OBC? Are the blue and white wires connected?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #17
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
What did you do with the OBC? Are the blue and white wires connected?
All I can tell you is when I had my old FLA setup with the obc all wired up to factory specs, everything worked cherry with the navitas system. When I decided to go lithium I ripped everything out and prepped everything, like connecting the blue and white wire together, pulled out the old club car charger port and then added some buss bars for my lithium setup. As for now I couldn’t tell you if it would work or not because I haven’t revived my battery yet. By the way I ended up going with the 48v 100ah Extreme team lithium. I’m sure everything will work perfectly just need to plug’er in, do a little adjusting on my navitas app and then it should be good to go. The obc doesn’t interfere with anything going on with the cart now that I have a smart charger. I believe all that the obc was doing is managing the oem charger.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #18
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Found the problem. The tow/run wire has to be on the hot terminal of the solenoid--I got things backward in my head. The funny thing is I had it right, but watched a video on the installation to make sure and swapped them wrong because the video mounted the controller upside down. D'oh!

Everything seems to work correctly now on the jack stands. Will hopefully get some time today to get everything buttoned back up and go for a test drive.

Big thanks to @David Hicks (@TahoeDawg454) of Revolution Golf Cars for his service and support on the upgrade!
Old 03-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #19
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Found the problem. The tow/run wire has to be on the hot terminal of the solenoid--I got things backward in my head. The funny thing is I had it right, but watched a video on the installation to make sure and swapped them wrong because the video mounted the controller upside down. D'oh!

Everything seems to work correctly now on the jack stands. Will hopefully get some time today to get everything buttoned back up and go for a test drive.

Big thanks to @David Hicks (@TahoeDawg454) of Revolution Golf Cars for his service and support on the upgrade!

Here a diagram
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DFAB0041-77FE-4CF0-8798-399B9187A043.jpeg (262.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #20
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
You may want to triple check your wiring to the solenoid, here is a diagram on the had solenoid. I do t think the battery negative goes to the solenoid it runs to the B- on the controller.
That's correct. The B- goes from the controller to the negative battery terminal. The B+ goes from the controller to the left side of the solenoid, and the right side of the solenoid has the run/tow wire (pink) and battery positive cable.

Wish I had that solenoid diagram yesterday!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car