lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #11
gujuman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Newbie -- safety ? jack + stand rec

Absolutely appreciate the input. Safety is definitely first and you can never be too safe...especially with the scary stories here. honestly, that’s why I posted for folks like y’all to give me some knowledge. Not planning to rebuild right now so will be quick with the lift. We just enjoyed the cart so much last year (tinkering and rising, both) that I want to get more proficient at working on it (safely of course). Will definitely take it super slow, post back if any more questions and ask an experienced friend to help.

In the mean time if anyone has additional tips keep em coming. I know this will
Be helpful to others in the future too...
gujuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #12
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another option you may want to consider is jack and jack stand in one. My lady got me four for a birthday a few years ago. I tinker on our vehicles as well as the GC and they come in very handy. Many times finding a jack point with a jack, then finding a place to put a jack stand can be a pain. Here is a picture. Can't remember where she got them from, I'll ask her.

IMG_1974 - Copy.jpg
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #13
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Listen, it sounds as if you've never done this before. ....you are lifting
Excellent advice. I had a car come down on me once, and it's not fun.

The Harbor Freight Daytona jack is amazing. I use it to lift golf carts and my pickup without issue. If you're ONLY working on the cart, it's overkill, but I think it's worth spending a bit extra on a larger jack than getting one of those silly little stamped steel ones. Cranking it up in three pumps is also much more fun than 15. As far as jack stands, again, HF will work fine for golf carts, but I won't use them for my truck. I ordered a set from US Jacks and feel that the extra cost was well worth it.

Don't forget that the batteries and motor are very heavy and will make the cart off balance. Nothing like thinking that the cart is properly jacked and have it start to teeter totter. Use wheel chocks too, and not just a left over brick.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Listen, it sounds as if you've never done this before. It can be very dangerous working under a vehicle, even a golf cart. I know a couple people who have died from vehicles falling off the jackstands, and they were experienced hobby mechanics. Do not take this lightly.

Please, find someone in your neighborhood or a friend who has done this kind of work and have them walk you through it. Safety first.

Several important tips:
1. Always triple check your equipment settings
2. Never "balance" any vehicle on jackstands or a jack
3. Limit laying underneath a vehicle as much as possible
4. Never lay underneath a vehicle if you are alone
5. Never stand on top of a vehicle on jack stands
6. Never use jack or jackstands for anything they are not designed for
7. Never trust a "jack only" for support, Always use jacktands
8. Use jacks and jackstands that are rated 2x-3x the capacity of your vehicles
9. Always know the weights of the vehicles you are lifting
10. Once the vehicle is jacked up and stable, always give it a good shake before you remove a wheel, crawl under it, or do anything at all. When you work on it you’re gonna be jostling it, removing weight by removing wheels/tires/other stuff which can change the balance and support. If it rocks/sways/or moves at all before you do anything to it, it’s surely going to move WHILE you’re doing it. But then it’s too late.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #15
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Another option you may want to consider is jack and jack stand in one. My lady got me four for a birthday a few years ago. I tinker on our vehicles as well as the GC and they come in very handy. Many times finding a jack point with a jack, then finding a place to put a jack stand can be a pain. Here is a picture. Can't remember where she got them from, I'll ask her.

Attachment 217440
Great idea! 2 ton is about $60 and 3 ton about $65 on Amazon.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:16 PM   #16
gujuman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks again, everyone. I found an experienced neighbor and have bought the 3T jack stands, so planning to tackle the individual battery load testing tomorrow.

It’s our first year owning a gc and I’m sure there is regular maintenance that I could do not that I have the right tools.

While it’s up and on stands, is there anything else I should take a look at or maintain/grease?
gujuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #17
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
10. Once the vehicle is jacked up and stable, always give it a good shake before you remove a wheel, crawl under it, or do anything at all. When you work on it you’re gonna be jostling it, removing weight by removing wheels/tires/other stuff which can change the balance and support. If it rocks/sways/or moves at all before you do anything to it, it’s surely going to move WHILE you’re doing it. But then it’s too late.
That's a good one! I knew someone would help me finish my "LIST" I ran out of ideas haha, was writing that on the fly. My wife tells me my lists are kinda psycotic um....yeah....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:26 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
That's a good one! I knew someone would help me finish my "LIST" I ran out of ideas haha, was writing that on the fly. My wife tells me my lists are kinda psycotic um....yeah....
After spending a lot of years putting cars on lifts, that was always my very first move. Shake it like hell so I can work on it without worry it’s gonna come down on top of me. I do the same thing with jack stands out of habit. And on really long pickup trucks I’d put a screw jack under the hitch in the very back to stabilize it more.

I’ve seen a vehicle come off a lift once. It wasn’t me, and nobody got hurt luckily but It wasn’t pretty...
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #19
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Here’s a good one
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 26EFE5FC-8EFB-43BF-BDFB-FE7B2CBACC7E.jpeg (149.3 KB, 0 views)
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:46 AM   #20
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
Here’s a good one
Wow....
SoFLCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car