lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
jskingry
Not Yet Wild

Default 36V Ezgo txt, new battery question, Duracell AGM from Sam's Club

Hello,

So I have a 2008 EZGO TXT that currently has six 6v Trojan batteries in it. I am tired of acid leaking on my concrete and want something sealed so I don't have to add water anymore.

I have seen these 6volt batteries at Sam's Club yet no one ever talks about the AGM ones for golf carts. I have searched online and people talk about the standard flooded lead acid batteries but never the AGM one's. I am just curious if there is a reason, are they any good? Will they last? The price is very good compared to any other golf cart AGM's. Hoping to hear some good words about them.

Thanks
jskingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36V Ezgo txt, new battery question, Duracell AGM from Sam's Club

Other than costing more, AGM batteries aren't as forgiving as wet-cell batteries and both charging and discharging is more critical. Cart performance will be roughly the same.

Your existing charger might not work with AGM batteries.

What is the make and model number of AGM batteries you found at Sam's Club.

I found some Marine/RV AGM batteries at the Sam's website, but no true deep-cycle one needed for golf carts.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #3
jskingry
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Other than costing more, AGM batteries aren't as forgiving as wet-cell batteries and both charging and discharging is more critical. Cart performance will be roughly the same.

Your existing charger might not work with AGM batteries.

What is the make and model number of AGM batteries you found at Sam's Club.

I found some Marine/RV AGM batteries at the Sam's website, but no true deep-cycle one needed for golf carts.
Johnnie,

Thanks for the quick reply. I would definitely need a new charger as mine is not rated for AGM batteries. Most of the reviews or discussion I find on these is for motor home house batteries and solar installation batteries, those are both deep cycle uses but I assume different from golf cart use. I am not looking for higher performance just lower maintenance and less corrosive mess dripping around at times.

The information is:
Duracell AGM Golf Car Battery - Group Size GC2
by Duracell
Item # 401742
Model # GC2

Description
Keep your equipment running strong and long with ample power. These batteries are specially designed for the long, deep discharges typical of marine, wheelchair, RVs, emergency lighting, golf cars, other deep cycle applications as well as engine starting. The absorbed glass mat (AGM) design provides maintenance-free service and ensures that they are spillproof and leakproof.

Policies & plans
Specifications
1 amp hour rate: 103
100 amp hour rate: 220
20 amp hour rate: 190
3 amp hour rate: 145
5 amp hour rate: 163
6 amp hour rate: 167.8
8 amp hour rate: 173.7
Battery Electrolyte Composition: Glass Mat
Battery End Type: Top Post
Battery Purpose: Starting Lighting Instrumentation
BCI Group Size: GC2
CCA at 0 degrees F: 680
Freight Class: 65
MCA at 32 degrees F: 900
Minutes at 15 amps: 718
Minutes at 25 amps: 409
Minutes at 5 amps: 2304
Minutes at 50 amps: 171
Minutes at 75 amps: 94
Minutes at 8 amps: 1409
Reserve Capacity: 380
Terminal Type: SAE
Volts: 6
Warranty
1 Year Free Replacement Warranty

Assembled Country
USA
Component Country
USA
Old 03-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Found them. Looks like they aren't available at the Sam's Clubs near me, so they didn't show up when I searched their website.

The standard 36V pack uses 225AH batteries and these are only 190AH (20Hr rate), so the range on a single charge will be about 16% less and the cradle to grave lifespan will be less also, but they ought to work if the reduced range and lifespan is acceptable.

They have dual terminal (Stud and SAE post) in the picture and the dimensions are standard GC so they ought to fit in the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0008399630049_A.jpg (579.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
jskingry
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help JohnnieB, I only use the cart for a few miles at a time so the range reduction doesn't really bother me at all. If I take the plunge I will definitely leave a review of the batteries.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As far as i've read, agm's are not recommended for traction use. They were fine for cars, rv's, boats, motorcycles, but during the loading process in a pack, liquid can get lost throu a build in vent, because voltage of single cells can be different. It is not possible, to add any water to agm batteries. As far as i know, new golfcarts are never equiped with agm batteries by manufacturers..., why?
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
As far as i've read, agm's are not recommended for traction use. They were fine for cars, rv's, boats, motorcycles, but during the loading process in a pack, liquid can get lost throu a build in vent, because voltage of single cells can be different. It is not possible, to add any water to agm batteries. As far as i know, new golfcarts are never equiped with agm batteries by manufacturers..., why?
$$$$$ They cost more per unit, which in turn increase the cart manufacture's production expense and lowers the profit margin.

You need a charger designed to charge AGM batteries, otherwise they may vent some electrolyte.

Might be some issues with very high discharge rates also, but if you are not turning exceptionally tall tires or pulling a manure spreader with the cart, or climbing steep grades with 4 or more pax onboard, they ought to be okay.

In fact, if I can find a set of them in my geographic area and at an affordable price, I might get seven of them for my 42V system. That would give me roughly 8kWh of storage, which is roughly the same as the standard 36V pack and I no longer need the 30+ mile range I got with my 245AH 42V pack.

I turned 78 last month and I'm having a pacemaker implanted next month, so no watering or terminal cleaning sounds good to me.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskingry View Post
Thanks for the help JohnnieB, I only use the cart for a few miles at a time so the range reduction doesn't really bother me at all. If I take the plunge I will definitely leave a review of the batteries.
Looking forward to your review.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:09 AM   #9
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Puh, thank you Johnnie, so i'm not too wrong... very happy with my Delta Q high frequency charger, clean batteries and low lost of electrolyte ( after i've thrown out the water filling system )
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Puh, thank you Johnnie, so i'm not too wrong... very happy with my Delta Q high frequency charger, clean batteries and low lost of electrolyte ( after i've thrown out the water filling system )
Just about everything about golf carts is a compromise and when the carts are used for purposes other the hauling golfers around golf courses, a more complex set of factors have to be compromised. In other words, most decisions are a shady of gray rather than being truly black or truly white.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO