lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2021, 05:21 AM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default RXV pedal sensor or controller error, how to tell

I am getting funky data from throttle and brake sensor on 2013 RXV (using PC based cable/software). I think this is either caused by a failure of the 5v output from the controller or a failed sensor.

The easiest/cheapest way I have found to diagnose this so far is to simply replace the sensor and see if that resolves the issue. That is not a big deal, but just wondering if the controller data can answer that question for me.

My question is, using the data provided by the controller, is there a high percentage way to eliminate the controller or pedal sensor as the error.

Data:
When pedal pressed:
Pot 1 reads 326-1024
Pot 1 scaled reads 81-657
Throttle command 0-0 does not move
Mapped throttle 0-0 does not move
Pedal switch works

Pot 2 wiper 320-1024
Pot 2 scaled 80-700
Brake command stuck at 100%
Mapped brake 0-100%
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: RXV pedal sensor or controller error, how to tell

Does it have the little inductive speed sensor on the motor held in with a T-30 Torx screw? this fault can either be the throttle, brake encoders in the pedal group or that speed sensor, but the handheld can throw you for a loop. Anything in the 5v circuit can throw those conditions. The fault that usually comes up is usually Throttle or Brake wiper (though usually it's the sensor in the motor, nothing to do with the throttle or brake encoders in the pedal group)
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Does it have the little inductive speed sensor on the motor held in with a T-30 Torx screw? this fault can either be the throttle, brake encoders in the pedal group or that speed sensor, but the handheld can throw you for a loop. Anything in the 5v circuit can throw those conditions. The fault that usually comes up is usually Throttle or Brake wiper (though usually it's the sensor in the motor, nothing to do with the throttle or brake encoders in the pedal group)
I always keep a spare brake encoder, that is easy enough to try. I was just hoping the was a way for the computer diagnostics to eliminate the trial and error process.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Replaced each of the throttle position sensors and the motor speed sensor, still showing 100% brake command and not releasing.

Going to think about it some more to see if I am missing anything, but sounds like controller is bad.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

check the micro-switches as well. Sometimes they cause that symptom. Once I had the same problem and it was the brake microswitch--it was stuck on acting like the pedal was down and causing the same problem.

Curtis RXVs have a myriad of more codes and many more causes than the older Danahar versions, and they can throw you for a loop. I was stuck on one for a few weeks for 'throttle wiper' that ended up being the key switch of all things!

If the controller had failed it doesn't normally talk to the handheld (it will power on but get stuck at the 'CanOPEN/Serial' selection menu. Sometimes it won't light up the handheld one bit (shows the hourglass and nothing)
Old 03-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #6
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
check the micro-switches as well. Sometimes they cause that symptom. Once I had the same problem and it was the brake microswitch--it was stuck on acting like the pedal was down and causing the same problem.

Curtis RXVs have a myriad of more codes and many more causes than the older Danahar versions, and they can throw you for a loop. I was stuck on one for a few weeks for 'throttle wiper' that ended up being the key switch of all things!

If the controller had failed it doesn't normally talk to the handheld (it will power on but get stuck at the 'CanOPEN/Serial' selection menu. Sometimes it won't light up the handheld one bit (shows the hourglass and nothing)
According to the computer, the brake limit switch is working, I can see it go on and off on the diagnostic screen when the pedal is pressed all the way to the floor.

I do not get the quarter turn rotation when switch is switched on. I get the sound, but the cart does not rock like normal. I am guessing that is because brake command is always showing 100%.

The brake will release when you change the 1-4 connectors.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:10 AM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The 1 and 4 connectors just bypass the controller and send voltage to the brake.

There's a lot in the 5V circuit. I still find myself swapping parts until one finally fixes it since whatever the handheld says is a lie! Like I said, once I found out after swapping almost everything on the car that the 'throttle wiper' fault was the darned key switch!

Brake command 100% just means the car won't release the brake because of a fault. That's pretty much why RXVs send folks through the windshield when they fault out. I always end up nervous test-driving one.

Have you tried replacing the speed sensor in the motor? that one can cause the issue as well. It's usually 75% the cause. That thing gets the tiniest bit of moisture and dies.

It won't be the controller. I know what kinds of faults show up for bad controllers:

EM Brake Driver OC

Buzzer Driver Off

Controller Overcurrent

EM Brake Test Failed
Old 03-09-2021, 02:24 AM   #8
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
The 1 and 4 connectors just bypass the controller and send voltage to the brake.

There's a lot in the 5V circuit. I still find myself swapping parts until one finally fixes it since whatever the handheld says is a lie! Like I said, once I found out after swapping almost everything on the car that the 'throttle wiper' fault was the darned key switch!

Brake command 100% just means the car won't release the brake because of a fault. That's pretty much why RXVs send folks through the windshield when they fault out. I always end up nervous test-driving one.

Have you tried replacing the speed sensor in the motor? that one can cause the issue as well. It's usually 75% the cause. That thing gets the tiniest bit of moisture and dies.

It won't be the controller. I know what kinds of faults show up for bad controllers:

EM Brake Driver OC

Buzzer Driver Off

Controller Overcurrent

EM Brake Test Failed
Yes, have swapped speed sensor and throttle sensor, still 100% brake.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:57 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

What about the actual brake encoder (there's both a throttle encoder and brake encoder, along with the two microswitches). I doubt it's the microswitches. Try looking at faults first. see if it shows Brake or Throttle wiper. Then swap the sensors (same part). Brake sensor on accelerator, throttle on brake. See if fault changes title from say Throttle wiper to Brake wiper or vice versa. If so, one of the two encoders has failed. If nothing changes, you're going to have to go deeper into the 5V bus. The Curtis RXV can really frustrate the heck out of you.

There's one time I worked on a Curtis RXV with a similar issue and I at least had the fortune of another next to me that ran fine. After trying everything, with the Brake Command staying stuck at 100% (well, for me it was -100%) I ended up wiping the firmware from the dud controller, took the firmware from the working cart, and copied it to the broken one. Fixed the issue. I have the OEM 1313 handheld though.

Far as I know, these are what are in the 5V bus which can cause an odd irrelevant error or fault:

1. Throttle Encoder on accelerator
2. Brake Encoder on brake assembly
3. Microswitches for throttle and brake
4. Electric Motor Brake
5. Key switch
6. Charger receptacle blue/white interlock wire
7. Speed sensor inside motor
8. motor and controller/heat sink temperature sensor (will show an unusual temp reading when failed)

There's probably a lot more but that's what I've dealt with so far.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO