lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
drifting g1
Not Yet Wild

Default tuning a g1 comet clutch

New to the forum and did a lot of searching and still a little confused on the tuning of the comet clutch. I have a G1, doing a new top end now and wanted a little better take off. Doing a burnout in gravel and some wet grass would be great!! Right now the motor barely spins and the cart takes off. I have not taken it apart yet till I asked on here if worth the work. Can i just shim a spring, if applies to this one and not just the older style? The weights, the lighter the faster in engauges? The heavier the weights, the higher the motor revs before engauging? What does all 9 weights weigh, and where should I be to do what I want? Thanks for the help, Tony.
drifting g1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: tuning a g1 comet clutch

I am a little cofused about what clutch you have. Is it a Comet 94 series or an OEM clutch? Here are three possibilities. Which clutch do you have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4419.jpg (79.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1991.jpg (45.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0183.jpg (120.6 KB, 48 views)
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
drifting g1
Not Yet Wild

I guess mine looks like the second pic. It has a thin goldish tin cover held on by three allen head screws. The label inside says comet duster. I count nine pucks total.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If your clutch looks like this it is a Comet 94C Duster. This clutch is also in my third pic, but has the plastic dust cover installed. The clutch in the first pic is the original OEM G1 clutch. The second pic is the later type and replacement part OEM clutch. Search this forum for "Comet clutch". There are several threads about how to tune a Comet clutch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1105091024b.jpg (66.4 KB, 15 views)
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Longer or shimmed longer spring gives higher engagement but changes shifting little. More spring strength shifts higher rpm, less weight/weights/pucks shifts higher and may engage higher. More weight/weights shift and engage sooner = lower rpm.

The best setup for a G1 was to have it engage higher than stock, enough it will spin in gravel on takeoff and rev higher when it starts moving. Then have it shift fast so the rpm goes lower as you speed up, then it shifts all the way and rpm go back up. That would win in a drag race every time, do nice donuts in gravel and powerslides in wet grass, etc. You need more rpm at take off, but the g1 tends to make the best power lower than you think in rpm even though it will rev quite high. That would generally be a longer spring and heavy weights to get that combo, though I had modded the original G1 clutch to work that way.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
drifting g1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Longer or shimmed longer spring gives higher engagement but changes shifting little. More spring strength shifts higher rpm, less weight/weights/pucks shifts higher and may engage higher. More weight/weights shift and engage sooner = lower rpm.

The best setup for a G1 was to have it engage higher than stock, enough it will spin in gravel on takeoff and rev higher when it starts moving. Then have it shift fast so the rpm goes lower as you speed up, then it shifts all the way and rpm go back up. That would win in a drag race every time, do nice donuts in gravel and powerslides in wet grass, etc. You need more rpm at take off, but the g1 tends to make the best power lower than you think in rpm even though it will rev quite high. That would generally be a longer spring and heavy weights to get that combo, though I had modded the original G1 clutch to work that way.
So should i just lighten the weights/pucks myself? Drill them each out little by little? I am looking for a gravel spinning, wet grass drifter! shim spring also? Thanks for the help guys

Tags
clutch, comet, g1cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha