lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 only starts when I switch quickly from reverse to forward. Possible CDI problem??

My G1 won't start when I turn the key to forward or reverse. It will only start when I grab the key and switch it quickly between forward and reverse while stepping on the pedal. It sometimes starts in forward, sometimes in reverse. I thought it was the ignition switch so I put a new one in it today and it still does exactly the same thing. Sometimes takes a couple minutes to start. When it finally starts, it runs fine till you shut it off. When it is running, the key is not quite all the way in forward or reverse. If I turn the key the rest of the way to the run position, it stalls. The old switch actually starts it better than the new one due to the amount of wear it has. Sometimes runs backwards with key in forward and forwards with key in reverse also. I have checked all the ignition wiring for continuity and all checks out fine. I have spark every time I pull the plug and check it.

Would something in the CDI possibly cause this? I don't know where else to look. It's such a simple engine, I cannot think of anything else.

Is there a way to bypass the ignition switch to get it started? It has 10 wires.
Is there a way to test or troubleshoot the CDI?

I may be way off, could be something else, I'm stumped.
Hoping someone here has experienced this and figured it out.
Thanks for any advice.
Routweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 only starts when I switch quickly from reverse to forward. Possible CDI proble

What year is it? Later ones had a "delay relay" to keep solenoids from clicking when on off the peddle it's small black box on fender and can be bypassed by connecting the two white wires together try that if yours has it
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #3
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 only starts when I switch quickly from reverse to forward. Possible CDI proble

It's a 1983. Solenoids click fine, engine pops and tries to fire but won't start unless I mess with the key
Old 09-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Don't see the delay relay either. Don't think it has one.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I removed the fan cover to check the timing. the timing marks line up very well when the piston is at TDC.
However, when cranking it over with a timing light attached, my timing is off by approx. 90 degrees(5-6 inches) How is this even possible? It's off approx. the same amount in the opposite direction when I try to crank it in reverse.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have been doing more testing. I think I have found the problem. The orange wire on my ignition coil is grounded. I believe that means my ignition coil is bad. Why would it spark at all if the coil is bad though?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yes, as you have spark your coil is good.

My gosh, though, it's crazy that your timing is off that much. That's probably your issue. Electronic ignitions deploy a long lasting spark so it's pretty easy for things to be out of TDC time but still work just fine. That said 1/4 of an engine's rotation, where yours appears to be, seems over the top.

Is your spark consistent, meaning rhythmic firing or is it scattered? It could be that your cdi is taking too long to deliver spark after the timing mags call for it. Either way, that's where I would start.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thumbs up Re: G1 only starts when I switch quickly from reverse to forward. Possible CDI proble

That's what I thought too (timing off 90 degrees). If this were a car, I'd have pulled the distributor and turned it a few teeth but than doesn't apply here

I figured it out with the help of a few members here.

My A1 and A2 wires were reversed at the solenoids. Switched them and now it runs fine. Timing is perfect also.

These wires were switched since I purchased it over a month ago and it was running fine until it just quit starting 2 weeks ago. Can't explain it but switching those wires definitely did the trick.
Thanks to everyone that took time to reply.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routweiler View Post
A1 and A2 wires were reversed at the solenoids.:
That certainly explains the 90 degree difference! Glad it worked out.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #10
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Any idea why that would throw the timing off that far on a reversible engine?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha