lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Timing off by approx. 90 degrees, How to adjust?

My 1983 G1 won't start. it just backfires at the exhaust side. I removed the fan cover to check the timing. The timing marks line up perfectly when the piston is at TDC.
However, when cranking it over with a timing light attached, my spark timing is off by approx. 90 degrees(5-6 inches around the fan's perimeter) How is this even possible? It's off by approx. the same amount in the opposite direction when I try to crank it in reverse.
Has something moved or come loose behind the fan?
How can I adjust the timing by this amount?
Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
Routweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
SKETSKI
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Timing off by approx. 90 degrees, How to adjust?

It sounds like you have you starter wires backwards to the solenoid. It's trying to start in the wrong direction.
SKETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have been doing more testing. I think I have found the problem. The orange wire on my ignition coil is grounded. I believe that means my ignition coil is bad. Why would it spark at all if the coil is bad though?
Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
SKETSKI
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Did you remove your starter/generator then it's post A1 and A2. The only reason I know is I put them backwards and it seemed like a timing problem
SKETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have not removed the starter/generator or any of the wires. My key is backwards though. forward is reverse and reverse is forward. Do I need to reverse the a1 and a2 wires? They are connected exactly as shown in the service manual.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKETSKI View Post
It sounds like you have you starter wires backwards to the solenoid. It's trying to start in the wrong direction.
G1 is two stroke it literally runs backwards for reverse
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routweiler View Post
I have been doing more testing. I think I have found the problem. The orange wire on my ignition coil is grounded. I believe that means my ignition coil is bad. Why would it spark at all if the coil is bad though?
I would start with this and see if you can't find where it's grounding and fix the wire rarely do these coils go bad
Old 09-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #8
Routweiler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I know the motor runs in both directions.
The ground is inside the coil I think.
If I disconnect the orange wire between the coil and cdi box and put my ohmmeter red lead on the unplugged orange wire on the coil and touch the other lead to the motor, the frame, and the battery negative post, I have continuity at all 3. Doesn't that mean my coil is grounded within(bad)?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:03 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Have you tried the suggestion of making your engine run correct direction. That sounds like the problem has been described, but you have not addressed it yet. Don't say "it spins both directions", I know that part. Make F = forward & R = reverse. Just give it a shot. "Flipping" A1 & A2 OR F1 & F2 should do that.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Have you tried the suggestion of making your engine run correct direction. That sounds like the problem has been described, but you have not addressed it yet. Don't say "it spins both directions", I know that part. Make F = forward & R = reverse. Just give it a shot. "Flipping" A1 & A2 OR F1 & F2 should do that.
Sorry missed the part of " forward is reverse and vice versa" also if the wires on starter are correct someone could have switched the "signal" wires to solenoids blue wire should go to forward solenoid and yellow wire to reverse solenoid if I remember correctly
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha