lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 97 Club Car won't move intermittently

I had a problem for a while with bad batteries. I've finally resolved the battery problem and am starting to use my cart more frequently. Now sometimes I press the pedal and it will not go forward. I flip the F/R switch to reverse and it always moves in reverse. Put it back in forward and I can get it to move but I may have to press the pedal a bunch of times or flip the switch back and forth. I don't know if moving the switch is coincidence or if it could be the problem. How can the switch be tested? Any other suggestions? Thank you.
mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 97 Club Car won't move intermittently

Do you have a flip/rocker switch as in a regen cart or do you have the lever style FNR handle from a series cart?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
SEHunter
Gone Wild

I've previously had the same symptoms on a series DS except in reverse. As time passed, it got more frequent until one day it wouldn't travel in reverse at all. Primary contactor pulls in and all my voltages were at the controller as should be. The Alltrax AXE had a failing power supply according to Alltrax tech support.

Recently replaced the old AXE with a new SR series and haven't had the issue return. Does your contactor pull in when it fails to travel?
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My cart has a FNR lever. Every time it won't move in forward I flip the switch to reverse and it moves. Put it back in forward and I can eventually get it to go forward but I may have to press the accelerator pedal 20 or so times before it moves. As far as the contactor question, I am not sure of which contactor to check. Thank you

Old 12-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds an awful lot like a switch issue.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fwd not work but revs does
Typically a bad/dirty Fwd/ Revs Sw.
That said , a good place to start is to remove
Clean/check all the cable connections.

Nice / clean looking cart!
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #7
SEHunter
Gone Wild

If your primary contactor is pulling in, you'll hear it. Its the click you hear when you press the accelerator pedal with the f/r switch in either fwd or rev. Do you know what make/model motor controller you have?

It could be the micro switch located on the F/R switch assembly under the seat for the forward direction but if you hear the click from the primary contactor when the cart wont go then it's possibly your controller. If it's always a failure in the same direction and especially if you hear the contactor, it's not a bad primary contactor or micro switch. With a loss of only one travel direction while hearing the contactor click, your most probable failure is the controller. If you have a bad micro switch, you won't hear the primary contactor click because there's not a signal that requests fwd travel causing the contactor to close ("click"). See if you can hear the contactor and go from there.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I haven't been messing with my cart lately because every time I go to drive it the rear tire is flat and I have to jack it up, take it off and strap it to get air back in it. I bought new tires last week (actually good used tires) and used the cart quite a bit yesterday. When I went to drive it back to its parking spot it would'nt go in forward. I had to drive it through my back yard in reverse to park it. Re-reading the replies in this post I went up there today to see if I hear the click while in FWD. It clicked and went forward. Seems like I hear the click even when it doesn't move forward. Now it's time to check the F/R switch. Any good videos on how to check the controller? I found a good video on F/R switches.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTzpR_hwOGg
Old 04-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
SEHunter
Gone Wild

If you hear the contactor click simultaneously when you are losing travel, that confirms the micro switch on the f/r switch is working. It’s possible you have a poor connection at the copper contact in the rotary portion of the switch, so verify that it’s transferring current with a multi meter. You didn’t say what brand and controller you have but your symptoms sound a lot like mine when my controller went bad. It started intermittently then progressively worsened. If you have an Alltrax AXE, have someone look at the controller while you press the pedal. When the cart wont go but you hear the contactor engage, keep the pedal depressed. If the green led doesn’t illuminate, you’ve likely got a bad controller. Even if you don’t have an Alltrax, you still may have a failing controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car