lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
gojacks87
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1997 EZGO TXT Power issues

Good morning everyone. This site is great! Very helpful, what a resource.

After reading several threads about the problem i am having and applying several of the suggestions i am still having issues with my cart.

I have a 1997 EZGO 36V system and i am having problems with getting my cart to go. What i am seeing and feeling when i drive my cart is that i loose a ton of speed when traveling up hill.

As an example, traveling through the neighborhood, when i go up small hills my cart looses all speed and barley makes it up the hills. Also when i press the petal all the way it in gets even worse. When i barley press the pedal i have torque to get up the hills but very slow...but at least i am moving. Also, i tried to load my cart on a utility trailer with a ramp for the gate. If i press the pedal all the way down when loading, it will not make it us the ramp, however, when i barely press the pedal in it climbs right up. slowly and a bit jerky but it goes.

I checked all my batteries and they are all good. All my wiring is clean, tight, and clean from any corrosion.

Any help would be appreciated isolating the issue from anyone's experience.

Thanks in advance and I am glad to be part of this forum.
JK
gojacks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1997 EZGO TXT Power issues

That's typical on all golf carts. Tell us your drive type and battery age. Also, I assume you know to check the electrolyte level and to charge after EVERY use.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #3
gojacks87
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a DCS system and i was told my batteries are 4-5 years old. They are Trojan 105.

The first thing i did was go through each battery and they all checked out.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Given their age, they are probably due for replacement. Check the voltage on each battery while driving uphill. As long as all batteries are about the same - not one bad one - that's what you have to live with until time to replace batteries. Then you have to decide whether to stay at 36 volts or to upgrade to 48.

Mine were pretty old when I got them, but they continued to serve their purpose for a while. As long as it doesn't leave you stranded, and you can tow it home if it does, replacement isn't necessary right away.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojacks87 View Post
I have a DCS system and i was told my batteries are 4-5 years old. They are Trojan 105.

The first thing i did was go through each battery and they all checked out.
Please describe the tests you did to determine the batteries checked out.

Trojan batteries will have a letter and number stamped into the negative post. EG. D7. Tell us what is stamped on your batteries. All six please.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
gojacks87
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

so its been a really wet couple of weeks here in Houston Texas so i havent been on my cart much but i was able to drive it a bit today and noticed something else regarding the power issues i posted before.

instead of driving out of my driveway today my cars were parked close so i just backed up the entire way. i have a long driveway and noticed that i had a ton of power in reverse, then when i flip my switch to go forward, it is really sluggish. It goes, just very slow to go. what does this mean?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Any chance you can contact the previous owner and ask if it had this problem, or if he ever did any rewiring.

Possibly forward and reverse are wired backwards? Reverse is usually 1/2 speed, for easy maneuvering. SepEx motors have two larger cables and two smaller cables. You can reverse either pair - at the motor or at the controller, BUT NOT BOTH. If that fixes it, you're done until batteries finally die.

Others can correct me, but it "may" be possible to simply remove the 1/2 speed wire. You can download a wiring diagram to see where this wire is.

NOTE:
Stock DCS controllers don't like running when the voltage gets too low, and they die. Others can tell you what that magic low voltage is.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Please describe the tests you did to determine the batteries checked out.

Trojan batteries will have a letter and number stamped into the negative post. EG. D7. Tell us what is stamped on your batteries. All six please.
This won't answer the slow in forward and faster in reverse - new symptom - but still good info for us to help you.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
gojacks87
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have five with F2 and one with G5
Old 11-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojacks87 View Post
I have five with F2 and one with G5
So five that are June/2012, and one that's July/2015. Basically the pack is six years, five months old. Unfortunately you don't get any "credit" for the newer one, as it's been dragged down by the five older ones.

From Trojan's website:

Negative Terminal- Shipping Date. This code indicates the month and year when the battery was shipped out of our factory. LETTER stands for the month, A to L (A=January, B=February, C=March, and so on); NUMBER is the last digit of the year.
Example:
A battery with “G4” on the negative.
“G4” means that it was shipped from our factory around July of 2014.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO