lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
WKUWIZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default An upgrade for Speed 2017 EXGO TXT

Hello Forum!
I have a '17 EXGO TXT48 that runs fine, topping out on flats at about 18.5 mph as checked by GPS speedometer. This is with just my wife and me. Not 4 people (even though we got a rear seat installed). I have read a lot of upgrades on this forum and believe I can get faster with just a new 500+ amp controller, solenoid, and wires.

Motor is stock and batteries have not been replaced.

However, I went to a couple Cart builders here (FL) and one gave me a pretty straight forward response I liked. Keep in mind he's a certain branded dealer in after market parts so that frames his response.

Here's what he recommends: "Nice to meet you this morning. I spoke with the engineer at XXX he's recommending building a 5 stack shunt wound motor to accommodate carrying 4 passengers and not over heat with a bigger load. The motor paired with the Curtis 500 amp controller the cart should run upper 20's with plenty of torque!"

Thoughts? I have read about Alltrax and Navitas but he likes the Curtiss.
WKUWIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: An upgrade for Speed 2017 EXGO TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUWIZ View Post
Hello Forum!
I have a '17 EXGO TXT48 that runs fine, topping out on flats at about 18.5 mph as checked by GPS speedometer. This is with just my wife and me. Not 4 people (even though we got a rear seat installed). I have read a lot of upgrades on this forum and believe I can get faster with just a new 500+ amp controller, solenoid, and wires.

Motor is stock and batteries have not been replaced.

However, I went to a couple Cart builders here (FL) and one gave me a pretty straight forward response I liked. Keep in mind he's a certain branded dealer in after market parts so that frames his response.

Here's what he recommends: "Nice to meet you this morning. I spoke with the engineer at XXX he's recommending building a 5 stack shunt wound motor to accommodate carrying 4 passengers and not over heat with a bigger load. The motor paired with the Curtis 500 amp controller the cart should run upper 20's with plenty of torque!"

Thoughts? I have read about Alltrax and Navitas but he likes the Curtiss.
If the top speed is 18.5MPH on level pavement and the cart's tires are exactly 18" tall, the stock TXT448 controller (Curtis 1206HB) is RPM limiting your motor to 4300RPM. If the RPM limiting is removed, a stock TXT48 motor will spin at about 5600RPM with a 48V battery pack, which is slightly over 24MPH on stock height (18") tires.

Is the Curtis controller recommended user programmable?????
Or do you need a special programming device to up the RPM limiting to above 5600RPM.

To program an Alltrax XCT48500-TXT48, all you need is USB printer cable (USB-A to USB-B cable) and a laptop, or similar device. The needed software is free and can be downloaded on the Alltrax website.

--------------------

To go faster than 24MPH, you can increase the tire height, but that also decrease the amount of torque available where rubber meets road.

You can also replace the stock motor with one that has more speed and torque. I'm not sure what a "5 stack shunt wound motor" is, but I'm pretty sure there are off-the-shelf aftermarket motors that have more speed and torque than a stock TXT48 motor has.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
WKUWIZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Johnnie B:
Thanks for the response. I was curious so I went out and measured the tires I have. They come in at about 17" tall. Not sure if I can post pics yet.
I do not believe the Curtiss Controller is programmable by the user. When I asked the dealer about Bluetooth etc. the response was what does the user really need that for? He is really behind Curtiss since they are the OEM controller and quality built.
Oh, and the 5 stack shunt is an off the shelf motor from the motor company in your signature line (D&D).

In your experience can the Alltrax controller work well with the stock motor without burning it up?
Old 07-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
WKUWIZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here are the pictures to support my ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire Height.jpg (105.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tires on Cart.jpg (100.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Curtis programming is available but if you are running 18.5 on 17” tires you are probably already in freedom mode. They can be tweaked a little more but not much left. RXV is a different animal. I also recommend an Alltrax xct500 but turned down to 400.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUWIZ View Post
Johnnie B:
Thanks for the response. I was curious so I went out and measured the tires I have. They come in at about 17" tall. Not sure if I can post pics yet.
I do not believe the Curtiss Controller is programmable by the user. When I asked the dealer about Bluetooth etc. the response was what does the user really need that for? He is really behind Curtiss since they are the OEM controller and quality built.
Oh, and the 5 stack shunt is an off the shelf motor from the motor company in your signature line (D&D).

In your experience can the Alltrax controller work well with the stock motor without burning it up?
The stock 36V PDS motor could only handle about 400A, but I'm not sure if the same restriction applies to a TXT48 motor, it is a different motor.

Of course, the XCT's Max Motor Amps can be turned down if need be.

Also, the field map has to match the motor.

No matter what controller or filed map used, if you drive very slowly (walking speed or less) for long periods of time (more than 5 minutes), the motor will get hot. Fortunately, your 17" tall tires means your motor will be spinning about 5.5% faster at any given speed than it would on stock height (18") tires, so slow speeds are less of a heat issue for your cart.

One of the nice things about the XCT controller is you can record a data log and see how many amps the motor is drawing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
WKUWIZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Curtis programming is available but if you are running 18.5 on 17” tires you are probably already in freedom mode.
Yes, I watched the guy who delivered it to me use a handheld to 'tweak it' to run at the freedom mode. He called it unlocking.

Tags
curtiss, ezgo upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO