lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #1
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default G29 DRIVE motor/controller upgrades

I suspect my controller is going, after the golf cart sits for a few days the acceleration is a little erratic until it gets used for a little bit. I was thinking about changing out the controller but I would like to make provisions for a potential future motor upgrade. Is this an option? What would be the best controller to utilize with a stock motor but potentially put in a high torque motor at a later date? Are there any other components that would need to be upgraded while running the stock motor?

Thanks everyone
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
Peth0201
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G29 DRIVE motor/controller upgrades

From everything I've read, ScottyB at Cartsunlimited is the man to talk to. You can purchase a 400-600 amp Controller and they may be able to dial it back for you until you're ready to upgrade your motor.

I also would recommend looking at plum quick for motor upgrades - they can take your existing motor and upgrade it for as little as $275 plus shipping.
Peth0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

From what you are describing you might have a motor problem with the brushes.. Controller usually doesn’t have problems when cold.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
From what you are describing you might have a motor problem with the brushes.. Controller usually doesn’t have problems when cold.
I just disassembled and cleaned the motor, they didn’t look too bad.

I didn’t me to imply “cold” it could be 90 degrees out and just the fact that it wasn’t used for a few days makes it act up.

Thoughts on solenoid being a potential issue? I’m not gonna replace brushes or put any money into the stock motor, it’s in my plans to replace it eventually anyway. If that is the issue it will just get expedited.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peth0201 View Post
From everything I've read, ScottyB at Cartsunlimited is the man to talk to. You can purchase a 400-600 amp Controller and they may be able to dial it back for you until you're ready to upgrade your motor.

I also would recommend looking at plum quick for motor upgrades - they can take your existing motor and upgrade it for as little as $275 plus shipping.
I’m going to reach out to plum quick and see what they can do for me. I don’t need anything crazy I just want more torque for when we have multiple people on. I’m not looking to go faster so this may be good for me
Old 03-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

90 degrees in North East PA? That doesn’t happen often.. My cousin lives in Athens..

Anyway, I have an XCT 300 in my g29 and it has been awesome. I bought it from a member here who bought it then realized it wasn’t going to do what he wanted. Mine is just normal height with a rear seat that very rarely has anyone on the back. With the stock hitachi motor it was low 20s and would spin the tires on gravel. If I had bought new I would have gotten the 400 but I don’t think my current setup has ever struggled.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #7
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
90 degrees in North East PA? That doesn’t happen often.. My cousin lives in Athens..

Anyway, I have an XCT 300 in my g29 and it has been awesome. I bought it from a member here who bought it then realized it wasn’t going to do what he wanted. Mine is just normal height with a rear seat that very rarely has anyone on the back. With the stock hitachi motor it was low 20s and would spin the tires on gravel. If I had bought new I would have gotten the 400 but I don’t think my current setup has ever struggled.
Nope lol usually two days in July and two days in August lol

Are you able to dial those back?
Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yes. Easy with the Alltrax and software. I used the mount that came with it and fairly simple install. I did have to cut off two tangs of mount and one new cable end but that was it.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Before spending big bucks on a controller, I’d check the wiring at the controller. Specifically the throttle input wiring. I’m not completely sure how the G29 is but most throttle pedals are essentially a potentiometer that varies resistance/voltage going to the controller as you depress the pedal. A worn or failing pedal sensor can cause issues like that as it sits.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Before spending big bucks on a controller, I’d check the wiring at the controller. Specifically the throttle input wiring. I’m not completely sure how the G29 is but most throttle pedals are essentially a potentiometer that varies resistance/voltage going to the controller as you depress the pedal. A worn or failing pedal sensor can cause issues like that as it sits.
Where is the actual potentiometer? In the pedal? Maybe somebody on here has the proper readings for it I could test that....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha