lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
newman0912
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1985 Marathon starting intermittent

Hi again. When it runs, it runs great.
But, probably once every 4 or 5 times trying to start it, it gives a single 'Click' and nothing else. The starter doesn't turn over so of course, the 2 stroke doesn't start either.

4 or 5 times in a row it will start just fine, then on occasion, it gives the single 'click' and nothing else. I don't know exactly why, but if you keep trying, in a few minutes, it will turn over like normal and run usually the rest of the day without problems.

If the key is off, there is no 'click' sound when depressing the gas pedal, and when the key is on, I hear the 'click'. This makes me think that the on/off key is working fine. I found the little switch inside the engine wall where the switch is located that moves when the gas pedal is depressed. I sprayed it with cleaner and it seems to be working fine.

I looked at all the wires, and all the push on connectors and they all seem to be in good shape and tight.

If I had to guess, I'd think it's the solenoid, but I don't really know and I don't even know what it looks like. On the inside of the engine wall where the key is mounted, there are 3 different shaped silver, metal boxes. I suspect one of them is the culprit, but again, I have no idea.

Is that enough info to get an idea of what it might be?

Thanks!
newman0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1985 Marathon starting intermittent

It's corrosion on your battery cables. Clean the connections on all of the big cables. That includes on the frame, on the starter, and on the forward/reverse switch. If none of that helps, replace the positive battery cable.
Follow the positive battery cable to the round box with all of the wires. That is the solenoid.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO