lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
braxx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Need a battery tray / rack. Build or buy?

Hello,
I came across a ez-go electric golf cart. I did not do my homework and made it an impulse buy. It ran very slowly but was pretty complete with a roof and windshield. Seller indicated that the cart ran fine when parked 3 months ago and that it was running slow because the batteries needed to charge longer AND because it was 20deg out. Seller also "thought" the cart was a around a 1989 model. I had no clue as I am a total newbie. So I bought it for $500 knowing that it "might" need batteries.
After some research. I discovered that it is a 1983 and that the batteries were shot. I charged each one on there own (I have many 6v/12v chargers) and 2 of 6 wouldn't charge above 5.0v, 2 others wouldn't get above 5.4v and the best 2 just tickled 6.0v. I found a person selling 6 brand new, on the pallet US battery 1800xc batteries for $275 ( I thought it was too good to be true but they are date coded Dec of 2010 and they are new / not refurb.
So I brought them home. As I removed the 7 years old batteries, I discovered that the battery trays / racks were nearly rotted away. I will not put the new batteries into this cart until a proper solution is found for supporting the batteries.
While I do have the skill to make a new set of trays, sometimes my time is more valuable than money. I have found the right side, left side and both single trays for under $60 delivered.
Would there be any reason to NOT go with the premade replacement racks / trays on a cart that I intend to keep stock?
I assume the replacment need to welded in, which is fine as I can weld.

So I guess I was long winded but the question is: Would there be any reason to NOT go with the premade replacement racks / trays?

Thank you,
Josh ( Freezing in South East Michigan )
braxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need a battery tray / rack. Build or buy?

You can buy the racks aftermarket and I suppose you can probably get them from ezgo at a good price,some of the sponsers on here can hook you up.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
braxx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
You can buy the racks aftermarket and I suppose you can probably get them from ezgo at a good price,some of the sponsers on here can hook you up.
I see they are available as I have found the right side, left side and both single trays for under $60 delivered.
The question is:
Would there be any reason to NOT go with the premade replacement racks / trays on a cart that I intend to keep stock?
braxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

You could go to your local big box store and grab either some steel or aluminum angle and some steel or stainless rivets. Cut to size, rivet and/or braze racks. Cut out old, rivet in new. Optionally spray some rubberized coating on assembly to extend service life.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Riveting in one piece in an otherwise solid structure is okay. Anything beyond that would require a new rack whether home made or store bought....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You will have at least 5 hours into building new
ones plus driving to the store for one more stick
of steel. I would order them.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO