lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default G1 throttle surges

Just got a G1, got it running but just when you barely push the throttle it revs and backs off and repeats, just like a gremlin is gouging the throttle.
What causes this?
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: G1 throttle surges

Okay, I moved the throttle linkage back towards pivot to decrease motion. I put a small tension spring on this throttle lever and it is easier to run. It still surges at minimal throttle.
So, I jacked up the rear end, and ran it stationary. Holding the footfeed perfectly still at just past idle, the engine runs then sounds like the ignition cuts off for a second or two, then the engine catches and goes again for a bit then cuts off again.
Is there anybody that can help me with this?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

If it is a later G1 with a 3 weight link style clutch (would have a gold color cap with 6 screws holding it on), could be you have a weight that is broken or ready to.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
lakehopper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Just rebuilt mine and it does the same thing.Checked the best I could for air leaks but didnt really find any thing .Cleanded the carb also and at first it seemed to help but then it started to do it again The only thing I did differant was removed the oil inj. I know it should have a new card cuz the hole for the therottle is worn but it ran better than this before I rebuilt it ??
lakehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I found this old post, maybe it will help us
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its not the governor its your throttle cable. What I do with a G1 is take the carb out of the boot they are always oily. I clean it good (carb cleaner) and stick it back in, then the carb will not slide/rotate sideways which messes up the throttle linkage. Then you have to set the throttle cable so when the pedal switch starts the engine you have no throttle at the carb, it should idle and you set the idle speed/mix so it idles really slow just faster than the gen turns it over. When you push the pedal down more then the carb opens. So you should be able to press the pedal (I leave about 1" of travel at top of pedal running but before the carb opens) and sit there with the engine idling and cart not moving. Note you may have to add a weak spring to help throttle/pedal return and/or hold the governor arm down onto the trans so it can't bounce off. Don't put a strong spring on throttle it will wear out the cable faster. If you want that put it on the pedal. Pull the floor panel up to adjust the pedal cable.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
lakehopper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Found my problem
Dip chit me got the pulse line to the fuel pump mixed up with the line that goes to the carb runs like a brand new used one now

Hey Ford
if they surge like that that means it running lean so you may want to check your fuel output and maybe get some wd-40 and spray around all your seals to see if your leaking air
lakehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha