lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
350xrulz
Not Yet Wild

Default 94 marathon running rough.....help!

Hi everyone.....first time poster here. I have a 94 marathon that I have rebuilt.....rings, gaskets, seals, hei mod, New coil, plugs, wires.....ect. I get it together and it runs like a bat outta h**l. Then I noticed I had a oil leak at head gasket. So, I fixed that problem. (Bolts not torqued properly). Get it back together after I removed the motor did some cleaning and replaced the motor. Now I can't get it to run worth a darn. Can't run full throttle (Chugs). Only runs good at about 1/4 throttle. About the speed of a fast walk. And it chugs and sputteres just to get to the 1/4 throttle speed. I'm at my wits end. It's turned into my fun little nightmare. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Here's my toy.....I call it "EZ-UKI"
94 Ez go
86 Suzuki quad front end

(They said I couldn't do it) Ha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0578.jpg (207.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0594.jpg (140.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0596.jpg (168.8 KB, 0 views)
350xrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
my1423
Gone Wild

Default Re: 94 marathon running rough.....help!

Since the engine was removed it could be a long list.
1. clean the carb.
2. take off fuel line at carb and place it into a clear bottle. Make sure you have a nice fuel supply when cranking.
3. Put it up on blocks start it look at the engine and clutches. Give it throttle and see if anything is amiss. Does it rev up on blocks? Clutches both move smoothly. Drive clutch slowly moving as rpm increases or jumping right in.
4. Double check all the wiring. Might have a loose connection causing a miss as it vibrates.
5. Check the crank seals. Did it ever backfire? Could have lost the seals.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
350xrulz
Not Yet Wild

Cleaned the carb....getting good fuel from the pump. If I put it in neutral or Jack it up...it will run or I guess rev up some what good. Still sputtered and stumbles a little though. But once it's on the ground....it will stumble like crazy and it barely moves.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Did you check the compression?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Did you mess with the timing during the re torqueing of the head bolts?
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
350xrulz
Not Yet Wild

Compression is good. I checked the timing and the timing belt gear that is on the bottom (the small one) was 1 notch off. I set the timing properly...took it for a spin..ran a little better. I had to slowly get on the throttle to get up to speed but it coughed the whole way there. I think I'm getting closer
Old 02-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

This is definitely a thinker... Try removing the plugs and take a spark tester and verify that you have a strong blue spark on both plugs... If this is questionable, it could be several things.. I know that doesn't help much but here is the list... Bad or weak spark is usually contributed to a bad or weak coil... This can also be a bad or improper gap at the pickup coil or dirty contacts.. CDI also comes into play as well. They sometimes go bad but its not as common as the other components listed above... One of the things I have found to be a trouble is the bus in line fuse located in the compartment at the starter relay.. There is a fuse there that commonly gets wet from water getting kicked up from the undercarriage and causes a bad connection... Lastly, ensure that all connections are made up well and tight, especially grounds.. Tracking down a loose connection, whether a hot or ground wire is tedious and time consuming but can cause the problem you are describing... I know its a lot to handle at one time but troubleshooting a cart online is a best guess at best... Seeing as you took the engine out, connection issues would be my guess but starting the trouble shooting process is a must.. Hope this helps ya...
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
Ron Benedict
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Try reversing the red and blue wires from the pulsar to the ignitor.
Ron Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO