lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
Firedad
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 G9 carb/airbox issues

I figured I'd start by replacing and upgrading parts as they are 27 years old on this cart. New belt, plug, air filter, new air box rubber things, changed out the fuel line and put an inline filter in.

So, it started running kinda crappy, and started leaking a little bit. Pulled the carb and cleaned it out, the bowl etc... Carb cleaner and a tooth brush. Put everything back together and it started leaking. The O-ring on the float bowl was shot. Was gonna just get a new ring, but figured a new carb might be a good idea. Apparently mOkuni is the cheap carb and that's the one that came.

I put it on there and ran it up in neutral. Now is where things get weird.

With the new carb, it runs, but with the air box connected, it stumbles and doesn't run right. Disconnect the air box and bam, runs like a champ. Tried to spray some carb cleaner to hopefully find a possible leak, but nothing.

Got a new spacer in case there was a crack, etc... Before I put it on there though, I figured i'd check to see if the issue was the same on the OEM carb.
So I put it back on there and ran it up in neutral. With or without the air box attached, it runs the same. BUT it's not running as fast with the OEM carb.
The OEM still has the leak on the bowl, but I wanted to make sure it was the air box and not the carb.

Any ideas? Would the bad O-ring have a major effect on the RPM's of the cart? The difference is significant as far as how much faster the motor runs with the new carb vs the old.
Firedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 91 G9 carb/airbox issues

Make sure your airbox is sealing good.. it does have a major effect on how your engine runs.. if you can run tape around the lip to seal the box.. that will let you know if that's your problen..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
Firedad
Not Yet Wild

Pretty sure it’s not an air box sealing issue. The air box on or off had no effect on the old carb. And I pushed down on it to ensure the seal. It’s like the new carb is being starved of air when the box is hooked up.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Take the bowl o ring off the junk Chinese carb and use it on the OEM and tape the top lid like iron monkey suggested the slightest air leak on these make them run weird and see what happens
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
Firedad
Not Yet Wild

Grabbed the oring and swapped it out. Now at least I don’t have a leaky decent carb.

No difference with or without the air box connected now.
It doesn’t rev as high as it did with the POS carb and no air box. Assuming it was a more rich set up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha