lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
Yzshooter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Keeps blowing Fuse

Hi all,
Just picked up a G11 and know nothing of it's history. I checked the oil and thought Id go for a ride to warm it up and change the oil. Upon returning home I stopped in my driveway and it would not re-start. Quick web search directed me to the 10 amp fuse. It was blown. I replaced it with a new 10 amp and as soon as you touch the pedal you hear it blow. I thought I ask where to start first. I'm not one to throw parts at something. I did discover that the box or cover is missing that exposes all the wiring and solenoid.
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I've searched and can't seem to locate. If it has been discussed I'd be grateful for that link.

Thanks, Al
Yzshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Default Re: Keeps blowing Fuse

Check out the links at the bottom of the page of your post -
Maybe one of these will help -
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Look for a naked wire.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Agreed. Someplace there’s a dead-short after the start switch.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Blown fuses are the worst. I don't know G11s at all but I follow this process on on machines:

If you don't yet have a wiring diagram, get one. Locate the fuse on the diagram and work from there, checking every wire from the fuse to wherever it goes. Looks for fraying, burn marks, anything that looks amiss should be replaced. Understand that the short could well be something not visible, unfortunately. It could be internal to a switch or something so you have to troubleshoot some of that stuff if you can't find any wiring issues.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Yzshooter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

EDIT: My cart is a 2000 G16A. I found the serial number. I was using the number on the engine and thought it was a G11. I did look briefly while on my lunch break and didn't see any wires that might be naked or grounding. I moved them around and tried another fuse and it blew it as soon as I touched the pedal. I'll have to look closer this evening when I have more time. I also will check the wiring for the lights and make sure they are not grounded to the frame. I already learned through this forum that Yamaha grounds everything back to the neg side of the battery.

Thanks for the replies.
Al
Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Buy a automatically resetting circuit breaker (10a) from the auto parts store. It will save you so much time during diagnosis. They will plug right into the fuse holder. It works like this, "fault happens, circuit breaker turns off immediately, circuit breaker turns back on in about 10 seconds". No "whole box of fuses" needed. Any time I deal with this, it's usually either the starter/generator, or the voltage regulator, and I leave the circuit breaker in there when I'm done.

Here's an example.. I know the price is crap, but I didn't search long, just for an example... You can probably get it for cheaper than the next box of fuses you are gonna blow unplugging-trying-replugging everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190225_174557.jpg (128.1 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
Yzshooter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Update. I unplugged the black wire from the starter selinoid and the fuse doesn’t blow. I also have 12v on the black wire when press the pedal. (When hooked up) Is that normal? 12 v on the red I understand but isn’t the black a ground?

Tia, Al

cgtech, thanks for the response and great idea. Unfortunately I am not near a parts house and I have about 25 used 10 fuses pulled from junk cars. ��

Last edited by Yzshooter; 02-25-2019 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Buy a automatically resetting circuit breaker (10a) from the auto parts store. . . . .
cgtech - Great idea. I’m an hour drive each way from an auto parts place, but I’d likely have to go there for fuses any ways. Next trip will include a circuit breaker or two - thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #10
Yzshooter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
I also have 12v on the black wire when press the pedal. (When hooked up) Is that normal? 12 v on the red I understand but isn’t the black a ground?
After talking to someone with more experience than myself, I discovered that this black wire should have 12v on it when the solenoid is activated. I also discovered that if i put a 15 amp fuse in it does not blow but the relay just clicks but the solenoid doesn't engage. I jumped across the large post on the solenoid and the cart starts. The solenoid appears to be an automotive type so I feel that is the problem. I plan to get the correct solenoid today but have another question:

There is a black wire (assuming ground) that is attached to the solenoid mounting screw. Is this correct? It seems like that wire on this "automotive type solenoid'' mounting screw causes that ground wire to be connected to the frame. That seems to contradict what I read about Yamaha's grounding practices.

TIA....Al
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha