lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #21
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 case seperation and bearing replacement

Got the crank bearings out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190517_185910.jpg (267.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190517_190003.jpg (288.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190517_192010.jpg (267.5 KB, 0 views)
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #22
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrcr822 View Post
IMHO the only way to do this is with an engine case splitter and a crank puller/installer tool. I use Tusk brand and both can be had for a little over $200.00. They will pay for themselves the second time you use them.

I use a single burner hot plate, coil style, to remove and install crank bearings. Once case has been split set case half on plate and heat until about 230°F or so and the bearing will either drop out or have to be lightly tapped out. To install the heat/freeze method works best. Place bearings in freezer preferably over night or at least for a few hours. Heat up case half to 230°F again and drop frozen bearing in. Keep a bearing installer tool nearby as you may have to tap bearing in if it does not drop in by itself then set it aside and allow it to completely cool before handling again. Also be sure bearing is facing correct way before installing.

Pull crankshaft into engine case with crank puller from the magneto side making sure connecting rod is not hitting case while installing, the clutch side case should go on by hand. Use Yamabond sealant on case halves and tighten case bolts to spec.

I would not use the wifes oven to heat cases as there could be a potential for explosion.....from the wife.
2 more questions. where did you get your bolts, im having a heck of a time finding them. and which was is the correct way for the bearing install?
Old 05-21-2019, 01:51 AM   #23
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Im surprised the impact driver didnt free those screws ,must have been a little frozen. I went to McFadden-Dale,a local hardware store that specializes in fasteners. Im not sure they have online sales but McMaster-Carr would have them as well. I believe they are an M8x1.75 but I would double check that. Just measure each for length with a dial caliper and order whatever type head you want. Unless specified install bearings with the words facing out.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #24
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Im surprised the impact driver didnt free those screws ,must have been a little frozen. I went to McFadden-Dale,a local hardware store that specializes in fasteners. Im not sure they have online sales but McMaster-Carr would have them as well. I believe they are an M8x1.75 but I would double check that. Just measure each for length with a dial caliper and order whatever type head you want. Unless specified install bearings with the words facing out.
I ended up getting grade 12.9 allen headed cap bolts like suggested. Did you use lock washers on them? There was no wording on the bearings...seller / bearings had good reviews.
Bolts are:
M6 1.0 x 45 qty 5
M6 1.0 x 55 qty 1
M6 1.0 x 65 qty 1
Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #25
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

dezrcr822 you have any tips on pressing the case halves back together? I got this engine back together but without the help of my lovely wife there was no way I could have done it myself. It took everything we had to hold things straight and turn the nut on the puller to get the clutch side case pressed in place. I even put some grease on the crank for lubrication. It did seem to help after I backed off the nut and put some lubricant on the threads. maybe that's where I went wrong.

I plan on doing this again in the future and possibly making a video to help other but the way it went today I think it would have been more comical than anything.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #26
cisgww
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
IMHO the only way to do this is with an engine case splitter and a crank puller/installer tool. I use Tusk brand and both can be had for a little over $200.00. They will pay for themselves the second time you use them.
Working on a 1981 G1-A2

I have a Tusk splitter/puller, borrowed from a friend. That said, neither of the two adapters will thread onto the fan end of crank (both too small), nor will the flywheel nut fit inside the puller without rounding down the hex pattern.

I need to get another nut and grind it down to fit. What is the size of the threads on the end of the crankshaft...diameter and thread pitch? Any other ideas?
cisgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #27
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

M16 x 1.0 threads
Old 12-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #28
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisgww View Post
Working on a 1981 G1-A2

I have a Tusk splitter/puller, borrowed from a friend. That said, neither of the two adapters will thread onto the fan end of crank (both too small), nor will the flywheel nut fit inside the puller without rounding down the hex pattern.

I need to get another nut and grind it down to fit. What is the size of the threads on the end of the crankshaft...diameter and thread pitch? Any other ideas?
Does your installer tool look like the one in the pic? I just used the chrome ring and one of the nuts and it went right on. Perhaps you dont have all the accessories in your kit as there are more in mine than what is in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201202_191525.jpg (94.6 KB, 0 views)
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:26 PM   #29
bill77
Not Yet Wild

OK, I have a question about bolt placement. Like an idiot I did not pay attention to where the different length bolts came out of. I would guess that the 65mm one would go in position 4, but where does the 55mm one go? Thank you for your help.
bill77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha