lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2019, 03:57 AM   #1
Yamadriver808
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 g1 brakes not engaging

Newbie bought new pads but brakes aren't engaging?
Yamadriver808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2019, 01:26 AM   #2
Yamadriver808
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 87 g1 brakes not engaging

I'm jus gonna swap out the backplates anybody have a pair of complete backplate brake assy?? That would would my G1? Lmk
Old 08-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Are the backing plates rusted out? You usually don't have to replace those. Have you pulled off the drums to inspect the condition of the shoes etc?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

did you get the correct shoes. they were a few changes to the G1 brakes over the years. Better yet did you get OE shoes or the cheap aftermarket shoes. Some of the aftermarket shoes are known to provide poor braking.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:23 AM   #5
Yamadriver808
Not Yet Wild

I actually jus bought shoes that were for any yamaha 83 and up.. I bought this cart from someone not sure if they threw parts from different golf carts. My cart serial number calls for an electric cart but its gas ?? The cart is called to have brakes that is self.adjsting
Not sure were to start. It has adjustment on the top and bottom and the lever on the bottom doesnt reach the brake shoe. So the mechanism on the bottom wasnt pushing the brake shoes. So I'd rather jus get complete backplates..
Old 08-04-2019, 02:28 AM   #6
Yamadriver808
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Are the backing plates rusted out? You usually don't have to replace those. Have you pulled off the drums to inspect the condition of the shoes etc?
The shoes were were flat out on the bottom but lots of life on top. So I adjusted the cable and bought new shoes still no brakes. So I took them apart the lever mechanism that the cables pull werent engaging not sure if they were doin that on the old shoe but I have thrown them out thinking I have gotten the right shoe. AMD now the new shoe doesnt even reach the lower mechanism. I bought this cart from someone looked like it had been macguyered..
Old 08-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

complete backing plates are hard to find anymore and I think require axle removal to replace them. Your old shoes should be stamped, please post whats stamped on them. Like I stated there was several changes on the G1 brakes over the years. Yes there is aftermarket that "will fit 83 and newer" but the aftermarket shoes are poor performers. There is a leading and trailing shoe so they need to be installed correctly. after the shoes are correctly installed and adjusted so that a light drag is felt, then the cables need adjusted.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
Yamadriver808
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
complete backing plates are hard to find anymore and I think require axle removal to replace them. Your old shoes should be stamped, please post whats stamped on them. Like I stated there was several changes on the G1 brakes over the years. Yes there is aftermarket that "will fit 83 and newer" but the aftermarket shoes are poor performers. There is a leading and trailing shoe so they need to be installed correctly. after the shoes are correctly installed and adjusted so that a light drag is felt, then the cables need adjusted.

I threw the shoes out once I took it off.. shucks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha