lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
Shanelee78
Not Yet Wild

Default 1995 G9 with no airbox

I picked up a 1995 G9. It has no air box. Just has an aftermarket round foam filter on the carburetor. Just got it running today after replacing the generator, wiring harness, and voltage regulator. Upon driving I noticed I had to let off of the pedal more then half way or it would bog down. Pedal to the floor and it barely ran. Finally after about 10 minutes it would run with the pedal more then half way, all though to me it felt like it was still lacking power. Is this due to missing the airbox? Do I need to run a bigger jet since I have no airbox? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Shanelee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1995 G9 with no airbox

Unfortunately there are parts of the airbox that are discontinued and pretty much impossible to find. But you can get most of the airbox on Ebay...

I would recommend trying to find an airbox. It's never gonna run quite right with a cone filter. Even something as little as the lid not being 100% sealed will make it bog so it only runs on half choke...

You could try and play with carb jetting. However, you're go. A have to hog that sucker WAY out to even be close to the ballpark... and I honestly cant say what kind of long term effects that may have.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It is funny that I see all these dire predictions with running K&N cone type filters on yamahas. I can only directly speak on the yamaha G14 . I used a K&N clone filter on my Yamaha G14 from 2008 until late 2014 when I switched to VC 460 power. I had zero issues with any starting or running. In 2016 the old couples G 14 I help out with would barely run.I popped open the stock filter boxes and they were a mess. I still had the K&N clone from my G 14 laying around here. I installed it on their cart and test ran it myself. Presto their cart ran perfectly with no changes to compensate for the filter change. They have now run 3 seasons with this filter also with zero issues. Maybe it is the magic island atmosphere or maybe it is just the way G 14 reacts OR ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

One of my G2s is intact, the other has a foam filter. Both do pretty much the same- an occasional cough, or burp. What helped the most on the one with the foam filter was swapping a Plowman’s muffler for the 30+ year old stocker. Runs much better. The other will be getting one soon. After new tires!
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is going to be interesting. I had a completely rebuilt G9 that wouldn’t run at all just because the lid on the airbox wasn’t snapped shut. I think those engines are pretty reliant on that being correctly sealed.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Same here - the rubber straps were missing, and it hardly ran at all. Replaced those ( ok, zip tied actually) and it ran ok. And now with the foam filter it does well.
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:47 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Well from my experiences, my G9 barely ran at all until I sealed the airbox lid. Simply sealing the lid made it run perfectly.

My current G2 ran perfect. Then my kids were driving it and happened to hit about a 1 1/2" log just right so it put about a 2" crack where the airbox mounts around the alignment pin in the front bottom of the airbox. Ran like crap, wouldnt run at all without being half choked. I JB welded the crack closed on the airbox and magically it runs perfect again with no choke.

Say what you want, if you've had good luck with a K&N then great wish I was as fortunate.

But even the slightest leak in the stock airbox makes it run like absolute garbage IMO. You would need to reject or hog the hell out of the stock jet to compensate.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
mozzer
Not Yet Wild

Check the spark plug, probably looks quite white, if so order a bunch of main jets for the carb, they are cheap on ebay.

I ended up with a 140 main jet on my G9 with K & N type filter. It is a good bit quicker than it was with standard airbox & jet. No issues with running at any throttle position.

After pulling the float off the bottom of the carb a few times it will only take about 15 minutes to swap jets.

I had to grind down a screwdriver to fit in the slot for removing the jet, needs a medium sized flat head screwdriver with straight sides.

Sent using Tapatalk - G9
mozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha