lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2020, 05:28 AM   #1
Paddles
Not Yet Wild

Default Reassembling G2 transaxle

Hi, I am new to GGW so hopefully I am in the right area. I have had a severe grinding noise in my golf cart and have determined through trial and error that it’s in the transaxle. I pulled it apart and a few bits fell out. I think my problem is that te gears (forward and reverse) aren’t engaging fully which I now believe is a gear shift cable issue so I am reassembling the trans. Where on earth do the 3 flat washer spacers go that I seem to have left over. For the record, I am in Australia. TIA
Paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Reassembling G2 transaxle

Did you look at the parts diagram by chance? There's no way we can tell you what the washers are without seeing it. Do you have any photos of the trans?

https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-g2-ab-1...list/D-05.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G2 transmission.jpg (79.0 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say #34, #34, and #34.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Are these flat washers really thin? gear cases often use shims on the outer end of the bearing (goes between the bearing and the case) to position the shaft properly between the case halves, and keep the shaft from walking back and forth under thrust loading. They will be the same or almost the same size as the outer diameter of the bearing if that's what they are.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
Paddles
Not Yet Wild

DSC09089.jpg

I think Fairtax4me is correct. As they fell out when I opened the casing they must just be from the top of shafts. The washers or spacers (just sitting on the empty casing half) are about 1/16" thick. My workshop manual shows a schematic of a G2 trans but certain components in mine don't appear to be on the schematic...for example the part with the 4 swinging attachments at the top of the main casing (I think it might be called a dog clutch maybe) is not in my schematic as far as I can tell.
Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers
Paddles
Old 02-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I think you're talking about the governor. The faster it spins, the farther out those weights move, which limits ground speed. It should be attached to a shaft on the outside of the housing. The shaft then connects to the throttle cable from the engine.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I believe the thrust washers (in red) go here.

The green is the governor and where it connects on the outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G2 transaxle 2.jpg (330.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-23-2020, 02:51 AM   #8
Paddles
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Slonomo. Now that I believe I have determined it’s a forward reverse issue, do you think it’s just a case of repositioning the cables on the transaxle spline or is there some sort of adjustment to be done up behind the shift lever, or maybe both

Cheers
Paddles
Old 02-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddles View Post
Thanks Slonomo. Now that I believe I have determined it’s a forward reverse issue, do you think it’s just a case of repositioning the cables on the transaxle spline or is there some sort of adjustment to be done up behind the shift lever, or maybe both

Cheers
Paddles
Yes the forward/reverse cables can be adjusted. They have nuts on the mounting that when adjusted will give you more or less cable travel.

Whether or not that's your issue, I couldn't tell you.

Did you inspect the forward/reverse gears in the transmission? The selector lever should move a "dog gear" back and forth to engage a set of gears on either side of the gear. The teeth on the dog gear can wear and cause it not to shift into gear. Also, the teeth on the actual forward and reverse gears can get damaged and worn, but they are hardened gears so usually it's chipped or missing teeth.

Before you reassemble and install the transmission, I would check the dog gears and engage and disengage forward and reverse several times while you watch the gears.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I believe the thrust washers (in red) go here.

The green is the governor and where it connects on the outside.
By the way this is just a guess from the positioning of your case halves. If you removed any of the internal parts, they could have fallen out of there also. Not sure what all you have done with the trans.

Looking at the diagram, I don't see any washers in the red locations I pointed to. That's the part I'm unsure of because if all you did was take the small cover off, then the washers had to come from one of those shafts. But if you removed those shafts and other parts, all bets are off.

The washers could be #46 in the diagram.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha