lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
wchouinard1
Not Yet Wild

Default 1982 G1 body material

Hey guys, new to the site, but have been reading a lot of the good info. I'm tearing down an '82 Yamaha gas G1 and replacing some parts, deleting oil pump, and doing some body repairs/paint. My question is if anyone knows what material the body is made of? Looks similiar to plastic in areas and fiberglass in others. Thanks,

Edit: Found thread on '86 that says it's a type of plastic on the front. Bottom line is I'm looking for what type of primer and paint to get.
wchouinard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1982 G1 body material

79-81 G1's had fiberglass body and front cowl. Sometime in 82 they switched to plastic on the front cowl. The fiberglass front cowl had removable rubber cup holders.

on paint Id use krylon fusion, it works on plastic, fiberglass ect. Clean both materials well and make sure to use an adhesion promoter.

just a reminder, the 82 was the a bit of an odd ball, don't freak out still a great little engine but had some slight differences enough you should pay attention on engine intake and exhaust things when getting parts. check at the bottom of my post for a link to the G1 service manual
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
wchouinard1
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the quick reply. Yes, i am aware of the '82 being different and that's part of the reason I was trying to make sure what the heck this thing was made out of before ordering I don't have the removable cupholders so that helps. I'll prob have a lot more questions as I go through it. Got the fuel tank, carb and oil res off and waiting on parts for crank shaft seals, etc. Been reading about muffler bbq which sounds exciting. Should be a lot of fun!
Does the Krylon Fusion work well? I see it's spray can type.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

yes krylon fusion works well, its one of the few spray cans that has a nice spray patteren and adheres to plastic. make usre to use some adhesion promoter
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
yes krylon fusion works well, its one of the few spray cans that has a nice spray patteren and adheres to plastic. make usre to use some adhesion promoter

Krylon Fusion is excellent paint for plastic. I use it all the time. It comes in a bunch of colors. One downside is that it isn't all that shiny. For whatever reason, the gloss colors aren't as shiny as a typical lacquer or enamel paint with a clear coat. Aside from that, it sticks well to plastic and has some flexible properties. I used it to paint the camo pattern on my cart 10 years ago. It actually still looks the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krylon fusion.jpg (25.3 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
wchouinard1
Not Yet Wild

Do you need a clear coat as well?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchouinard1 View Post
Do you need a clear coat as well?
I don't think you can with the Krylon Fusion. Clear coat does not have the flexible properties of the Krylon fusion and it would just crack from movement of the plastic. They do have gloss colors though.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha