lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
superman111
Not Yet Wild

Default Hei Conversion 99 Ezgo Txt

Hi I have a 99 ez go that has spark twice as the engine spins then no more. If i take my foot off the gas and the hit it again, I get the same thing It has a new dual coil pack on it and the pulsar coil seems to be ok. So I want to swap the igniter out, but with the hei moduel instead. IS this possible and if so what wires need to go where. I see the diagram on here that has it for a 2 stroke, but the wires are different colors and i Beleive there are a few more, If needed, I can supply a pic of the wires that need to be hooked up. Thanks
superman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Hei Conversion 99 Ezgo Txt

Hi superman111

You can replace the ignitor on your cart with a 4 pin HEI module and will work fine. Here are some details that will help you with you conversion.

Mount your 4 pin hei on a aluminum bar 3/16 to ¼” thick. The hei metal plate should be smooth with no tabs protruding. A thin coat of thermal grease(usually supplied with hei) should be applied to hei metal plate, then mount securely to aluminum plate. The aluminum plate should be mounted to frame and grounded.

The wire connections to HEI are indicated below.

Ignitor Red wire (+12V) from d terminal on solenoid should connect to pin “B” on hei
Ignitor Black Wire (Ground) should connect to aluminum plate on hei or hei mounting bolt to frame.
Ignitor White wire (From ign. coil (-) should connect to “C” terminal on hei.
Ignitor red/white wire (pulsar) should connect to “W” terminal on hei
Ignitor blk wire (Pulsar) should connect to “G” terminal on hei.

If the engine does not run or start right, swap positions of the 2 pulsar wires on the hei W & G term.

Link below to schmatic at bottom of page.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...iagram-id.html
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
superman111
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate it. This really helped. I hooked it all up and still nothing though. I see with the original harness and igniter the red wire that comes from the ignition coil goes straight to solenoid do I just splice in a female spade and connect both ends to the b terminal on hei or just leave Red wire from Ignition coil alone and just have the wire going from b on hei to d on solenoid. I am trying to trouble shoot this I have swapped the two wires from pulsar coil and nothing different. I have power coming into b terminal on hei module and no power leaving it from any other terminal. The hei module came off of running motor, and if with the old igniter I had two sparks when pedal was pushed its not likely pulsar is bad is it?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
jeffrun
Gone Wild

If you have a solid 11-12 volts on B terminal, that is correct, so dont change that connection. Be sure you have the hei grounded good. remove pulsar wires from hei, measure the resistance between the two wires,reading should fall be 150-420 ohms. Remove - wire on ignition coil and measure the resistance between the two primary terminals . Reading should be around .5 ohms to 3.5 ohms. There has been some applications that some coils do not work with the hei. Report back your readings.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
superman111
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I checked the resistance. I have .45 ohms on the ignition coil, however when I unplugged the pulsar and checked the resistance there, it pegged the meter out like I just touched the meter wires together, I assume that this is not what shoulg happen. If there was moister around pulsar coil, would this cause this to happen? It has been raining here today, the cart been under a shed and not wet, but there is alot of moister in the air. The ignition coil should be alright shouldn't it? And as far as the pulsar coil, what am I looking at having to do? Was I supposed to be spinning the motor while I was checking the resistance. Thanks for all info.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman111 View Post
Ok so I checked the resistance. I have .45 ohms on the ignition coil, however when I unplugged the pulsar and checked the resistance there, it pegged the meter out like I just touched the meter wires together, I assume that this is not what shoulg happen. If there was moister around pulsar coil, would this cause this to happen? It has been raining here today, the cart been under a shed and not wet, but there is alot of moister in the air. The ignition coil should be alright shouldn't it? And as far as the pulsar coil, what am I looking at having to do? Was I supposed to be spinning the motor while I was checking the resistance. Thanks for all info.
The .45 ohm ignition coil should be ok. The pulsar reading shows a short. I dont think moisture is a concern, its protected . You need to replace pulsar coil unless you see some of the pulsar wires shorted to each other or to ground. You measured it correct, engine not being cranked. Be sure you have new or good spark plug wires and spark plugs. Where did you get the ignition coil?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
jeffrun
Gone Wild

test the resistance of pulsar again, you may have stopped the motor in firing position of pulsar, that would produce a millivolt voltake and make your meter go full scale in ohms mode. Turn motor and take a couple of readings.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
superman111
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for not responding very quickly, I have been really busy. Ok so i rechecked the resistance of the pulsar, It reads 2.5 in the same setting that i checked the pulsar, if i put it in x100 or x1000,it pegs it out still like I shorted the wires, I assume this means bad pulsar, but before I go and buy a new one I wanted to make sure this was your opinion too. Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Those readings indicate a bad pulsar. That item would surely be cause of your problem. You should replace it with a new one.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
superman111
Not Yet Wild

Alright thanks. I will be taking itoff in just a few minutes and when I get the new one I will keep you posted. I appreciate all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO