lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
Charles09086
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: modified workhorse

There's a sticker on the engine swing arm that says ST480 model and it's the 16hp B&S Vanguard motor. I bought it down in Tampa, FL a few years back. Wasn't until recently I started messing with it and would like to use it as my hunting vehicle. Not trying to spend big money like the long travel kits cost, but would like to fit some bigger tires just because.

Sent the pics to Jake's and Glen steered me towards a leveling kit. So we'll see what happens when it arrives.

Last edited by Charles09086; 10-09-2014 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: update
Charles09086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The leveling kit is actually just a set of spacers/risers for the front as well as longer shackles for the rear (pretty easy to do yourself with (6) 1.5 or 2" steel spacers, half a dozen longer bolts, and a set of longer shackles - I buy 1.5"X3/8" bar stock and make mine, takes about 20min to fab up a set and You can go whatever length You'd like to level out the rear end) ... With the factory lift and the kit You'll be able to run 23's but anything bigger will rub under the cowl in tight turns.

Keep in mind that larger tires look cool and will increase your top speed, but the larger the tire the more dramatic the torque and power loss You'll experience (although it isn't quite as severe with 16hp vs the stock 11, I have built a couple of Workhorses this year with the CTR 16hp 373 motors and they've all been on 23's) - if You do go bigger and miss the takeoff and hill-climbing power (especially loaded up) You can always drop to a shorter belt and/or a stiffer spring in the driven clutch to get that power back to the ground.

Also, just a little bit of experience to help You out, You're likely going to want to move your stance out a bit with wheel spacers if You go anything bigger than 22's (especially if you're offroading a lot) - the Workhorse/MPT/ST long-wheelbase carts get pretty tippy with the standard wheelbase width and a big, stiff lift (like Yours, a drop-axle, or a Spindle), literally two of them have been on their sides this summer here on the property, both were with inexperienced drivers - worth considering if anyone else drives your cart.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Just for reference, here's a 2008 with 23X10.5-12's, standard 6" lift

This one is a 2007 with a spaced axle, shackles, and a Spindle Lift running 23X11-14's

And this was a 2001 Commander running 23X10.5-12's

If You're going for the "Look" of huge tires (even though you're limited to 23's) check out the blue cart - I personally like the fatter tire look of 12's but that one looked pretty nice on 14's - those tires looked HUGE from almost any angle. The downside to 14's is that they ride pretty stiff on the trails (noticeably so) so it's a tradeoff depending on your riding style, speeds, etc
Old 10-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
Charles09086
Not Yet Wild

Thanks BCM. Not really concerned with looks or stance. Just want bigger tires for a little more clearance through ruts at my lease. I plan on having two sets of wheels/tires for around the house use and swap out the larger ones when I go hunting.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

cool - remember though, the lift kits actually give You no more ground clearance than a standard cart at the rear end (pumpkin, if You will) - going from say 20" to 23" tires will give You a difference of half the tire height increase (in that case, about an inch and a half) but that's it, regardless of the lift height. Also, after you do the lift, double-check all of your cable routing, etc as many times a lift will cause your cables to be exposed and vulnerable to a much higher degree than they were pre-lift. Being mechanical brakes, snagging and busting a cable will still leave You one working brake for the ride home, but the cables themselves aren't cheap so take the extra time to protect them and eliminate the worry altogether.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Be warned. Prices for stuff on the 480 can be scary..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
chrisp6108
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

also the larger the sidewall the better the ride will be, which is why i went with 22x11x10's on my cart, still gives me the clearance but i can air down to about 4 psi and it rides rather smooth. just something to keep in mind.
chrisp6108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp6108 View Post
also the larger the sidewall the better the ride will be, which is why i went with 22x11x10's on my cart, still gives me the clearance but i can air down to about 4 psi and it rides rather smooth. just something to keep in mind.
With the wider tires, did you have to do anything to the steering to compensate?
tegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #19
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

As a rule, if You do a spindle lift You'll want to add 2" spacers on the rears to keep the stance equal, but the steering isn't affected. With *some* of the drop-axle lifts for 2001.5 and up You'll have clearance issues with the drivers side end of the steering rack, if so, generally 1" spacers (or a larger offset wheel such as 2:5) will eliminate the rubbing. Running at low pressures (as mentioned above) can be tricky, it definitely can soften things up but it's not very safe at higher speeds (25+) especially if You're running a 2-ply tire (or a lower-quality 4-ply even) - every brand and size of tire is a little different, some allow You to get away with the lower pressures, some just don't. I personally like the handling and compliance of the 14's (especially on the street and groomed surfaces) but they definitely ride a bit harder than 12's so I'll generally pull a leaf to soften the ride up and compensate for the stiffer tire when I use them.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
Charles09086
Not Yet Wild

The leveling kit arrived and installation commenced. Initial inspection of the kit contents didn't leave me with a warm/fuzzy as the kit contained two heim joints for the steering linkage to the spindles. My cart didn't have these heim joints, but tie rod ends instead. I ended up having to make my own spacers from spindle to tie rod so the steering linkage would raise off the leafs. The rear shackles were built from aluminum, so I'm hoping they hold up. Found out I need new shocks all around, although as stiff as these leaf springs are, I doubt I'll feel any difference.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO