lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Crank Bearing Installation 1984 2pg engine

I am rebuilding the engine in my 1984 Marathon. Have read the manual and searched many posts here. However, I still have a couple of questions.

1. What is the BEST method and sequence to install the crank bearings. The manual says install the bearings in the case first and then press the crank into the case.

Seems like it might work better to do bearings on crankshaft first, that way I could heat the bearings before I put on crank and then heat the case. I am scared to death about cracking that aluminum case with a press.

So, wow is the best/easiest/least risky way to install the bearings?

2. When the bearing goes into the flywheel side of the case, should it be flush? I heated the case and cooled the bearing and tapped in as far as I could without "beating", but bearing still sticks out a bit above the edge.
(if I need to, I can remove this bearing and install on the crank first).

3. Is permatex ultra grey the best seal for the gasket halves?
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Crank Bearing Installation 1984 2pg engine

I used a heat gun. I heated the center of the bearing and it slid right onto the crankshaft. Once the bearings are installed on the crank, heat one crankcase side at a time and install crank with bearing into case half. Bearing slid right into case half. No pressing was ever necessary to install bearings into case or on crankshaft.

If you are using a torch, be sure to stay away from your newly installed seals. Rotate torch in a circular manner around the bearing bore. It doesn't have to be scorching hot to do the trick. Install bearings until fully seated in bearing bore.

You can always use an oven or, better yet, a bbq grill to do the heating as well.

Use something similar to Yamabond or Loctite anaerobic sealer. Definitely not silicone.
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEYMOTORMOUNT View Post
I used a heat gun. I heated the center of the bearing and it slid right onto the crankshaft. Once the bearings are installed on the crank, heat one crankcase side at a time and install crank with bearing into case half. Bearing slid right into case half. No pressing was ever necessary to install bearings into case or on crankshaft.

If you are using a torch, be sure to stay away from your newly installed seals. Rotate torch in a circular manner around the bearing bore. It doesn't have to be scorching hot to do the trick. Install bearings until fully seated in bearing bore.

You can always use an oven or, better yet, a bbq grill to do the heating as well.

Use something similar to Yamabond or Loctite anaerobic sealer. Definitely not silicone.
THANK YOU! Your method seems a lot easier than the manual. Had not thought about heat gun, will try that.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #4
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Just to follow up in case it can help someone in the future.

Followed Mickey' Instructions above. Put crank in freezer, heated bearings, amazing how easy it was to tap the on the crank with a flat punch.

Next, put crank with bearings back in freezer. Heated the case halves with 1500 watt heat gun. The halves went together easy, bumped very lightly and they touched. Put seals in last.

Used Permatex Moto Seal to seal the two halves, is gasoline resistant.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad to see it came together easily for you.
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO