lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
semac67
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 club car DS gas shutting down?

my 2002 club car DS gas cart is shutting down after a few minutes of operation. it smells heavily of gas like it is running really rich. when I pulled the spark plug it was coal black. I replaced the plug blew out all my vent lines on the carb. and fuel tank, then removed all fuel lines and filters to check them. I found nothing wrong. I replaced the air filter, still no change. *note: when the cart quits running in mid ride, the cart will still turnover but will not start and run. If i leave it sit for 20-30 minutes it fires right up and runs until it shuts down again. problem seems to be getting worse. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
semac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 club car DS gas shutting down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by semac67 View Post
my 2002 club car DS gas cart is shutting down after a few minutes of operation. it smells heavily of gas like it is running really rich. when I pulled the spark plug it was coal black. I replaced the plug blew out all my vent lines on the carb. and fuel tank, then removed all fuel lines and filters to check them. I found nothing wrong. I replaced the air filter, still no change. *note: when the cart quits running in mid ride, the cart will still turnover but will not start and run. If i leave it sit for 20-30 minutes it fires right up and runs until it shuts down again. problem seems to be getting worse. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I've never been inside a carburetor on one of these carts, but my initial thought goes to a stuck float...
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Did you get a chance to check the float yet? My thoughts go to it having a tiny hole in it and being full of gas, causing flooding. Let us know what you find!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
pgagreg
Not Yet Wild

we have problems with critters putting nuts in the air intake box that leads to the air filter housing. It chokes the cart out and blackens up the spark plugs. Could also be a stuck float in the carb, see if the air filter is soaked with gas.
pgagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
Capt.Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have had the intake hose going from the air box to the carb get weak and claps in when running causing it to choke out. Also check the air box for clogging if all is good. I would take a look at the carb.
Capt.Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #6
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Just finished a job with fouled plugs.....went around the world to figure this one out!

You can pull the carb and clean it REAL well and try again. This is what I did, but the customer told me the carb was purchased in the fall......so obviously, it's not the carb....right????

WRONG! He had purchased an aftermarket carb. I finally convinced his to by a carb through CC ($224). Installed new carb, no fouled plugs anymore.

I even went as far as removing head, removing valves, re-seating valves, cleaning intake, exhaust, and piston off all carbon.

And the entire time, the carb was the culprit. I'd definitely say carb issue.

Here's a trick to see if needle valve is working properly (for flooding issues): Take a piece of fuel line and unplug the fuel line currently going into your carb. Push the "new" piece of line on the plug. Gently blow into the fuel line. If you can't blow any air through, and you know your bowl is full of gas, then you know your needle valve and float have stopped gas in the bowl. If you can blow a little air (with a full bowl of gas), then you know you have a float/needle valve issue.

The opposite also works. On the bottom side of the bowl is a screw. Unscrew this screw and your fuel in the bowl will drain out. Blow on your hose, and you should be able to blow air through the intake...meaning your float has moved down and needle valve open.

Just a quick way to check needle valve and float without removing carb.

But your issue is going to be the carb!
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car