lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
BK308
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 ezgo rebuild

Hey all, I’m a newbie with an 88 ezgo 2 stroke marathon that has seen better days. I have very little small engine experience but enjoy tinkering and can follow instructions well. I’ve already found a lot of useful info on the site and am looking for some additional advice.

When I got cart it had sat for years. Cleaned tank, new gas lines, new carb, new spark plug and still couldn’t get it to fire. Ran compression test (prob should have done that first) and only getting 55 (which isn’t good from research I’ve done). Contemplating either top end or full rebuild. I’ve read in other posts the seals seem to be a crucial factor in these engines. Can I replace the seals only doing a top end rebuild or does that require a full rebuild?

Have seen donyboy73 top end rebuild on youtube and it was very helpful seeing the process. Is there a step by step video or manual on doing a full rebuild on one of these engines? Thanks in advance for the help.
BK308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 ezgo rebuild

This manual is for an 85. The two differences are that yours has a bigger carburetor, and the exhaust is slightly different. You can still use it to rebuild yours.

A top end rebuild is just removing the cylinder. Seals require removing the clutch, and flywheel.

The engine needs to be removed for both.

For me, that's a no brainer. The engine is already removed. Go ahead, and take care of the known problem areas while it is out.

The only real decision that has to be made is to change the bearings, or not. That would be considered a full rebuild. It entails splitting the case halves. Check for up and down play, or any binding before deciding to do that.
Bearings are cheap, but much more involved.

These are important things to remember.
Green Loctite on the seals.
Piston goes with side port facing the intake.
Rings go bevel side up with ends at alignment pins.
Make sure that you check the end gap on the new rings in the cylinder without the piston.

All of that is spelled out in the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
BK308
Not Yet Wild

That’s exactly the help I was looking for cart around, thank you!

Just a couple follow up questions. When you say green Loctite around the seals are you talking about the crank seals, gaskets, or both?

Also, the governor was disconnected when I got it, can I leave it disconnected without issues?

Finally, is there a special type of oil I should use when lubing up the new parts on the rebuild or just use 2 cycle stuff that will be going through it eventually anyway?

Thanks again for all your help! I’m kind of excited (and a little nervous) to start the project.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Loctite on the crankshaft seals. Backfiring could pop them out. I went as far as staking mine in too. That's taking a hammer, and punch and putting a little ding in the case around the seal in three spots.

Leave the governor off. You only need the choke, and the throttle cable.

Boy oh boy, the lube is a tough call.

The fuel oil mixture is what lubes your bearings. You don't want anything thick blocking the ports. I just used 2 stroke oil on mine.

I'm not so sure about new rings. I know that the manual says mix the first tank of gas at 40:1 after a rebuild. I'll scan through the manual to see if it
says anything.

Pages H-10 through H-13. Tells how to measure cylinder, and piston. It also says use oil for assembly.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

I just rebuilt my 88 ezgo's engine. I did the full rebuild and I'll find out tomorrow if it works or not. lol If you do a full rebuild make sure you get a crank case spliter. Also be careful taking off the clutch. I accidentally took a small chunk out of the pull for the generator on mine. I hope it does not make a big impact. Anyways, for putting lube in the bottom end I just lubed up the new barrings with some 2 cycle oil. Also I oiled up the inside of the piston wall and the piston itself with 2 cycle oil. The rebuild was pretty straight forward. IMO. There is a good youtube video on how to rebuild the top end. That guy's channel is donyboy73.
steelpenguin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
BK308
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice and information guys. I wouldn't even consider attempting it if it wasn't for your help. I'm sure I'll hit u both up with questions along the way.

I'll keep ya posted!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB054pB2en8

He has 3 more Ezgo videos.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Okay I know I said that I would not post until Monday but I have a problem. Engine seems to be running good but forward has hardly any rear wheel power. However in reverse there is tons of rear wheel power. Help!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Could it be a timing issue? I did not screw with it while I had the engine torn down.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I'm kind of wondering if the brakes are dragging in one direction.

How did you change the front crank seal without messing with the timing?

This might be a tough one to diagnose.

Tags
1988 ezgo, 2pg, rebuild
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO