lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
968cab
Not Yet Wild

Default Light Kit wiring clarification

Searched extensively, with no conclusive answer, so thought I'd post...

2015 48v RXV, (4x12). I'm adding RHOX LGT-302L light kit. It comes with a "plug and play" harness.

It's says "designed to operate at a DC range of 12-48volts". So, as I understand it/my questions:

1) As is, out of box, I do NOT need a voltage reducer. If I add accessories (USB charger, etc), I do need a reducer. Correct?

2) If I do add, how/where do I wire the reducer so I don't blow up my phone or bluetooth speaker?

2) I can connect the ring connectors directly to a single battery (the drawings suggest the far left/drivers side battery). I've read multiple places that this isn't smart as it affects the full pack...but most of these threads are 10-15 years old. Has something changed? Blindly follow directions?

Thank you for your help!
968cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Light Kit wiring clarification

Add a 48 to 12 Volt reducer and add accessories to reduced 12 volt supply.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:56 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Install a 48 to 12. Volt reducer/ convertor. Attach accessories to the 12 volt convertor out put.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:07 AM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

you really dont want to attach anything to just one 12 volt or a pair of 6 volt batteries. the light kit you say runs on 12 to 48 volt , then you should be good to run across the pack at 48 volts. anything else you would need a reducer and probably would be a good idea to wire that in now with everything else and run the new light kit on 12 volts IMO.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:23 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, the LED bulbs can accept the higher voltage just fine. However adding turn signals, brake lights, power socket will absolutely require reducing to 12 volts. The reason you don't want to wire to just one battery is damage to your very expensive battery pack. That one battery will regularly be discharged more than all the others. When you charge the cart the batteries will all be getting the same charge. The charger uses a programed final voltage to determine when to shut off. Since that one battery starts at a lower voltage than the rest, it slightly brings down the pack total voltage. The charger then must slightly overcharge the other batteries to make up for that one and reach shut off voltage. Over time the voltage difference will become greater as that one battery continues to be under charged and the other 3 are consistently overcharged. You would kill off that expensive set of batteries, and have reduced performance and run time till their early death.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:29 PM   #6
968cab
Not Yet Wild

Great info, thanks.

Already done with the project, just need to do some zip-tying tomorrow. Went ahead and put the reducer in line since I had it anyway. Waiting for the USB module to show up, but the voltage at the connectors is good, lights all work, no magic smoke released!

Thanks guys!
968cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #7
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

you cant put the smoke back in the bottle lol
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
tyekeith
Not Yet Wild

so, I have a reducer installed just like how Fentertainment did on youtube. I have the Rhox light kit with LED accent lights, installed but cannot figure out how to tie in the light kit into my reducer.

Am I good, or do i need to do something else? I don't care about blinkers and low/high beams. I know I will connect into the fuse block when I add any other accessories.
tyekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:39 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Need more info
What to you plan to use as a switch to turn lights on/off?
Need a path / circuit for12 volt lights to get power from 12 volt convertor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO