lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #1
Gmaniac911
Not Yet Wild

Default 2015 Yamaha YDREX5- Electric Dead-need help

Love this forum I have gained alot of knowledge and tips and tricks with other carts. Now I'm stumped and I am looking for some help.
A little long but wanted to get all the points in, so here goes.
Bought the cart and it wasn’t running owner claims was running then just stopped.
Battery pack Trojans date code 2020 test 50 volts.
He tried to replace the solenoid however it was a 12 volt solenoid (I have correct solenoid on order 48v)
With old 48volt solenoid in place there is
50v on battery side (regardless of ignition key position or tow run switch position)
50v on each small terminal (regardless of ignition key position or tow run switch position)
41v on controller side (regardless of key position or run tow switch position)
I checked the 3 amp fuse it is good
No reverse buzzer no resistance pushing cart forward in run mode no warning buzzer either.
Attached is picture of solenoid as I found it wired.
One thing I found curious is on the solenoid there are red wires going from battery side terminal to controller side terminal with a little box with blade connectors thereby connecting both sides of large terminals together. I have not seen that on any other pics of this cart.
I don’t want to connect new solenoid until I am sure of the correct wiring.
Any help is much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (201.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (203.0 KB, 0 views)
Gmaniac911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2022, 10:53 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2015 Yamaha YDREX5- Electric Dead-need help

Here is the wiring diagram. Alltrax might be easier to read.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 18-YDRE-diagram-Yamaha-YDRE.pdf (200.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf DOC110-021-F_DWG-XCT-YAMAHA-YDRE-WIRE-DIA.pdf (136.1 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:11 PM   #3
Gmaniac911
Not Yet Wild

Well it appears as though the wiring is correct.
I bench tested the solenoid by applying pack voltage 50v to the small terminals and solenoid clicks. once energized there is in fact continuity across the 2 large terminals. Also tested tow run switch across connectors in tow no continuity when switched to run there is continuity. Not sure what to do next. Shouldn't the solenoid click in run mode when ignition key is turned on. Any help to sort this out is much appreciated. I am very mechanically inclined however this electric cart has me scratching my head.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:39 PM   #4
Gmaniac911
Not Yet Wild

more information.
It appears that I am not getting a ground from the controller to one of the small terminals on the solenoid.
When solenoid hooked up to both wires red and yellow and red and black I have 50v on both sides of the solenoid (small Terminals). I took off the red and black one which I believe is ground to the controller and touched a wire from negative on battery pack to that terminal and solenoid activated as it should reading 50volts to both large terminals on solenoid. Also I got the new solenoid in and it does same thing on both new solenoid and old solenoid. Does that confirm that my problem is the controller? Don't wan to buy a $500 + part and find out thats not the problem. Any help much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds really like a bad controller ( they're prone to fail ). The solenoid should click, when the pedal is pressed ( getting ground from the controller to the small post ). I'd recommend an Alltrax XCT 48300 ( stock replacement ) controller, more torque, speed and user adjustable, but it's a ~ 530$ Investment.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:55 PM   #6
Gmaniac911
Not Yet Wild

Is there a trusted vendor on this site that I should purchase from?
Old 10-31-2022, 06:04 PM   #7
jlkeener
Not Yet Wild

Can't go wrong with Plowman carts in Flint Michigan. His technical information alone is worth the price of the controller.
jlkeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:10 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Gmaniac, sent a PM...
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 01:33 PM   #9
Gmaniac911
Not Yet Wild

I would like to test the motor on the cart before installing new alltrax controller.
Does someone have a procedure for that.
Is it as simple as using a 12v jump box to posts on the motor?
Though I saw something that said you have to wire jump terminals together first.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Search this forum for how to test your motor. It's not hard but you need to disconnect it from the controller and hook it up correctly - then use an 8 or 12V battery to power it with the wheels off the ground.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha