lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
tmck
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car will not charge

96 48v club car will not charge. charger clicks on but amp meter stays at 0. tried to bypass obc and nothing. all connections are good. reads 48v acroos all batteries. any ideas??
tmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car will not charge

At 48 volts your batterys are less than 60% charged ( check STICKIES for "State of Charge Readings" ) It could be either the batterys are too low to kick OBC in OR the OBC needs possible "Reseting" See Stickies under "Reset the OBC" OR charger problems? Do you have some one near by that has same charger that you could try on your cart? If so see how his works on your cart to confirm what problem is. If his kicks in and charges then you know its your charger. If it wont work then try reseting OBC and let us know what happened.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

as old mec. said batts are low but at 48 volts thats enough to kick charger on, if your dash battery light is red chances are its the original OBC and its quite possible its done......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
tmck
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have reset the obc and same problem. I also have plugged it into another charger and had the same problem. I took apart the charger receptacle on the cart, plugged in the charger and it worked for a few days. Now its back to not charging. I tried the receptacle trick again and It started to charge at 12amps. I unplugged it put it back together plugged it in and it started charging at 5amps. I unplugged then immediately plugged it back in and I could not get it to charge at all. Now I can not get it to charge at all. Sometimes out of nowhere the cart will start charging and work fine for a little while then go back to not charging at all. I have checked the connections and all seem to be good. I don't no what else to do. Could the receptacle on the cart cause this infrequent charging?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

try pulling the grey wire with the fuse on the back of the receptical see if it pulls out if so thats your problem...............have you disconnected main power and cleaned both parts where they plug togather? if grey wire is goosd and receptical is nice and clean i would change the OBC......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When it is not working, unplug the charger and check the voltage at the charge receptacle ... if it matches the pack voltage you probsble have a bad OBC... You need the serial # from the old obc to order a new one.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
tmck
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Gray wire with fuse is good. I took the gray wire fuse out and jumped it to last neg on batteries. My understanding is this by passes the obc and charger should kick on. I did this and it did the same thing. Charger clicks and humms but no amps on charge guage.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Did you try another charger? Or a Charger relay jump?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

TMCK--Normally its not a good idea to unplug Club Car charger when its charging as this would force the OBC IN MID CYCLE TO SET ITSELF BACK to start mode again and ( In my personal opinion forcing it to cycle often and if getting weak really shorten life of unit even more ) when it has been charging at 12 amps and I feel that it would not be a good idea?
In my area with salt water very near we find the charge receptical goes bad with white corrosion inside and not noticable until torn apart to clean. I dont know where you are in Texas but I would first check receptical and if that doesn't help replace looks like replacement of OBC is in your future.
NOTE OBC's are not universal so to be sure to do as SCOTTYB says and get numbers off your old unit to get correct replacement as if I am correct and you may still have the old RED dash light they have a updated to a Green? or Orange? light with better correct OBC as replacement?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
tmck
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I believe it does have the red dash light altough I can't say for sure because I have never seen it come on. The charger clicks and hums a few seconds after plug in. Does this mean that the obc is ok? When by passing the obc with gray fuse it still shows no amps on gauge. I thought that this would by pass obc and charge batteries. How do I know for sure its the obc. I'm confused because the by pass method still does not produce any charge. I have tried my cart on other chargers and it does same thing on all of them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car