lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
geggle
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 stopped running

My 84 G1 stopped running today. Just sputtered like it was out of gas, died, and now won't fire at all. I have good spark. And there is gas going into the cylinder. But won't fire at all. Not even with ether. I did run it out of gasoline about a week ago. But filled it back up and it caught and ran. It sputtered somewhat. So I took out the external fuel filter, cleaned it some. and it ran fine after that, until today. I did notice that the fuel filter is not full of fuel. And it just seems to drip thru it. So I removed it, and am just running without it right now (I should say NOT running). Could something be wrong with the fuel pump? It pumps fuel, but only squirts about an inch out of the hose at the carb. Any help would be appreciated.
geggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 stopped running

Sounds like you have plenty of fuel to the carb. If you have that, and spark, check your compression. Use a compression guage to measure it, or the thumb test to check it. Put your thumb over the sparkplug hole and crank. If you cannot hold your thumb sealed on the sparkplug hole you have adequate compression to run. If all this is good, we need to find out why fuel is not getting to the combustion chamber inside the engine. Exhaust plugged? Exhaust flapper loose and flopped shut? Carb float stuck? Air leak? Check it out and let us know what you find.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
geggle
Not Yet Wild

Seem to have compression (blowing ait out plug hole last nite). I'll check it with a gauge this morning. Fuel is getting to the chamber (noticed fuel coming out of exhaust connection at head after cranking it over alot last nite). How do I check the exhaust flapper. I'm not familiar with that, or it's location. I did take carb off and checked float and jets. All seem to be fine and clear. I'm stumped. Got fuel, got spark, it should at least sputter at me I would think.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
geggle
Not Yet Wild

Okay. I have 105# compression on forward cycle. And I assume the "Exhaust Flapper" is a butterfly valve located at exit of exhaust at head. The linkage connected to it is rotating correctly (not sure whats going on inside with the actual flapper, could it be disconnected?) Still not a sputter out of the engine tho.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The exhaust flapper I mentioned is the butterfly valve. If you have gas coming out the muffler connection, are you sure the engine is not just badly flooded? Have you tried a new sparkplug in case the old one is fouled and shorting out? If that doesn't work, remove the muffler and check the butterfly valve to make sure it is open. While you have the muffler off, try starting the engine. Maybe your muffler is plugged.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
geggle
Not Yet Wild

Turns out, That even tho the plug showed firing at electrode when pulled. It must have been shorting out when installed (internally fouled). New plug, and runs fine. Next time I'll just change the plug ($1.50) as a matter of expedience. And maybe save myself a little frustration. I knew it was something simple. Morale of the story here is "Plugs Lie".
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha