lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
stinger5
Gone Wild

Default Re: melt down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
day 3

got most of the wires re-run, and still no go.
i guess when i head to the mainland i will buy a ohmn meter this weekend,
i have a service and engine manual, the problem is i cant understand what i am reading (dumb texas plow boy)

wondering if that harley Solenoid could be the pronlem
i got the key switch re-wired, is there a way to check it with a test light

black wire is the ground
red wire is always hot
blue and yellow wire become hot when key is turned on
white and white/ black wire i know where they go....i just dont understand
if those wires are ground too, or if a switch powers it up?

I'm unfamiliar with all things Harley Davidson but I'll bet that the starter solenoid is at least part of your problem here. 99% of automotive solenoids are OCCASIONAL duty only. IE, they only engage momentarily when the start switch or key is activated. CC golf carts utilise a CONSTANT duty cycle solenoid which remains engaged whenever the cart is running. This is necessary due the fact that the the starter and voltage generator on your cart is a combined system as opposed to a separate starter and generator system in most automotive applications. If it isn't already, the Harley solenoid will soon be burnt out. It wasn't designed for such heavy duty use.
To test the solenoid; apply 12 volts across the two small terminals. You should hear the solenoid click as the contacts are energised and you will see that there is now a completed circuit across the two large terminals.

For testing purposes only, remove the Harley solenoid and replace it with a cheap one from NAPA or whoever your local parts store is. No point burning up a $65 part
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

that is good advice stinger,
will actually take that advice ,
so napa would have a cc solenoid...... cc = closed circuit
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #13
crash12888
Gone Crazy

CC means Club Car and depending on what type of solenoid it is putting pos and neg across the two small posts is not such a good idea unless you know for sure what solenoid you have.
Golf cart solenoids are internally grounded which means it takes power and negative wires to activate them.
The old Ford style solenoids or others have the two small posts but they are not the same. They are externally grounded which means it uses the mounting flange to complete the energizing circuit.
The mounted Ford style with two posts use "S" post to activate the solenoid and the "R" post to feed directly to the distributor to aid in starting.
Later Ford types came without the "R" post due to new electronic ignition systems.

NAPA should sell a heavy duty, internally grounded continous duty solenoid that will work for you
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
stinger5
Gone Wild

[QUOTE=crash12888;646107]CC means Club Car and depending on what type of solenoid it is putting pos and neg across the two small posts is not such a good idea unless you know for sure what solenoid you have.
Golf cart solenoids are internally grounded which means it takes power and negative wires to activate them.
The old Ford style solenoids or others have the two small posts but they are not the same. They are externally grounded which means it uses the mounting flange to complete the energizing circuit.
The mounted Ford style with two posts use "S" post to activate the solenoid and the "R" post to feed directly to the distributor to aid in starting.
Later Ford types came without the "R" post due to new electronic ignition systems.

How do the "Ford" defenitions fit in with the Club Car methodology ?
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #15
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Since both of you are making guesses about troubleshooting and testing solenoids, I thought I would describe the two most common types.
I just used "Ford type" as a common descriptive because most people are familiar with that type of solenoid weather they know how it works or not. I'm not sure if the Harley solenoid is internally or externally grounded but was basically saying know what you have before you just start touching pos and neg power to parts.

Get the correct solenoid and move to the next issue.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #16
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

thanks crash.

got a new solenoid from the cart shop yesterday ,and while i was there also got 4 micro switches, key switch, and a voltage regulator.Rubbing my backside next time i will go through Tom........

today when i get off work...........let the games begin

speaking of tom. i received my parts from him today, tachometer, belt, new spring, and clutch removal tool.
the service was the best i have ever received, not putting myself down, but lets just say i am a little on the slow side. tom took the time to explain to me what i needed. i just don't get things the first time like most people do, and he showed patience and took the time, till i did understand. to me that is better than saving a few pennies........
Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #17
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Great to here, if you are willing to learn I don't know anyone here that will brush you off!
Don't not ask any questions you have for fear of ridicule, we all started out that way and I don't know anyone here that knows it all.
Although some think they do!! hahahaha!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #18
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

woooooooo hooooooooo!

zippy runs again!!
all new wire head to toe, if it is electrical its been replaced or rewired,
including the new starter/ generator, all the wire is run through plastic conduit,and snap tied together. hoping that will slow the salt air.(not much does)

actually happy, if you dont know whats wrong, replace it all, thats how my dum butt did it. i live 300 yards off the beach, the parts will corrode or rust soon enough,, and now i have spare parts to work with later down the road,

thanks all of you for helping me get zippy running,

p.s.

............no honey, jim cant come get me,he's right here sittin next to me.
and his wife said let him sit, honey pleeeeeaaaaseeee come get me....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car