lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Front hub bearing race removal?

I have some new front bearings on the way for my 83 EZGO. Can someone tell me the best way to remove and replace the outer bearing race from the front hub. It appears to be a press fit? Not sure. Also, is it a "must" replace item when installing new bearings? Thanks.
Race Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
drag racer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Front hub bearing race removal?

It is a good idea to replace the bearing and races together, but if the race is in good shape, not absolutely mandatory.

As far as removal, yes they are a press fit. You have to remove the inner grease seal and both bearings. There should be a little of the race OD sticking inward from the hub bore, and carefully knock them out using the right punch. Work your way around the OD of the race, and it should loosen and start to come out. Repeat for the other one. For installation, I use bearing race drivers, which are special for the job and the right way to do it. They come in sets of various sizes, and are not too expensive. Good tools to have around if you work on cars, etc.
drag racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks again Drag Racer.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Hey Race-Chaser,If you want to cheat a little,throw the races in the freezer for a few hours.It shrinks them slightly and they go in real nice.We've done this on Heavy-Trucks and Equipment for years,it works great.Just work quick from freezer to hub!You can flip your old race over and use it as a driver,just stop before it goes into the bore or it'll get stuck,them drive it home with a pin-punch
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the tip Pachanga!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

No problem Race,If you get stuck,PM me.I work in the city so i'm near-by if you need a hand.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use a socket that's a teense smaller diameter than the race and a dead blow hammer. A little grease on both the race and hub helps a lot. Don't try to kill it. gentle taps puts them right in.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Never lube the race or hub.It can Hydraulic the bore and crack the hub.The lube will not compress and will either prevent the race from seating,or blow-out the hub-seat.This is on any hub,no matter if its' a cart,car,semi,etc..I've seen it happen.Races are a press-fit for a number of reasons,1.so that it locks in place,2.so that it transfers heat away from the bearing into the hub for cooling.If you put a lube between the two it insulates the hub from the race.Thats also the reason that you always add a glob of grease between the bearings,it gives the grease a way to transfer heat inside the hub.Also,If you run Off-Road alot,use Marine-Lithium Grease,Its' more water-resistant.Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
I use a socket that's a teense smaller diameter than the race and a dead blow hammer. A little grease on both the race and hub helps a lot. Don't try to kill it. gentle taps puts them right in.
Thanks Simple man. I went to Harbor Freight Sunday and bought a set of race and seal drivers for $25. Hopefully, that will do the trick. If not, I'll try a combination of the ideas above.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Chaser View Post
Thanks Simple man. I went to Harbor Freight Sunday and bought a set of race and seal drivers for $25. Hopefully, that will do the trick. If not, I'll try a combination of the ideas above.
The race driver worked great! Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_5568.jpg (262.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 102_5565.jpg (198.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 102_5566.jpg (238.0 KB, 7 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO