lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default 18hp Opposed Clutch Setup

I set up the cart back in the spring with the Opposed-18,Its' a beast,and I love how "Driveable" it is,But it just doesn't have the Snap I thought it would.I've played with both clutches(TXT-Primary,G2-Secondary).It takes off like a stock-cart,then about 30ft out,it shifts the secondary,roars and its' gone.The trail-manners are great and the clutch stays right in the sweet-spot when running the trails,I just think it should have alot more Off-Idle Pull.I tried the Torque-Spring kit from Everything-Carts,even wound the stock-spring,no change.I've tried some different springs in the Primary,also wound the Stock spring.My next thing is to try the Power-Spring thats availiable for the Primary.What other clutches can be swapped,if any onto a Yamaha G2-Rear?Top-Speed right now is 27 on GPS with 22"-tires,no-govenor and its' screaming(I'm careful,I know its' close to its' limit for RPM at that speed).I plan on going to 25's this winter.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 18hp Opposed Clutch Setup

25"s will make that motor work. Those engines LOVE to be worked. Seams like the more load you put on them the happier they are. I miss my opposed. I should have dropped it in my G2 instead of getting read of it.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Set your secondary back to stock spring, stock spring placement or even lower. In other words, lessen the pre-load on the secondary. Start with the stock setting and drive it for a while to see how it runs out, cause as you know you don't have the RPM's with an opposed to really rev it. But it will let your motor and your primary really do the work, and it doesn't cost nuttin.....Hope it work's, I think it will.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I've been playing with the secondary,Its' shifting up ok,about 30-50ft out on a hard launch,but it just doesn't Snap off the line,no tire-spin or anything,you'd swear its' almost stock if you keep it slow.You can take off like a stock cart and at low-throttle,just putt around,nail the gas,it hits the secondary,pulls the wheels a little and gone.I want to find a Primary setup that I can change out easily(even a whole clutch),that way I can run the current setup for normal stuff,then switch up to the Torque-Monster Clutching If I go trail-riding.Any experiences with the Power-Spring for a TXT Primary-Clutch?Wondering how much it increases engagement RPM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
I've been playing with the secondary,Its' shifting up ok,about 30-50ft out on a hard launch,but it just doesn't Snap off the line,no tire-spin or anything,you'd swear its' almost stock if you keep it slow.You can take off like a stock cart and at low-throttle,just putt around,nail the gas,it hits the secondary,pulls the wheels a little and gone.I want to find a Primary setup that I can change out easily(even a whole clutch),that way I can run the current setup for normal stuff,then switch up to the Torque-Monster Clutching If I go trail-riding.Any experiences with the Power-Spring for a TXT Primary-Clutch?Wondering how much it increases engagement RPM.
What is the RPM engagement of your primary clutch? Maybe a Umax style secondary spring could get the "launch/pull" like you want.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I don't have a tach on it yet,It engages right off of idle,very smoothly,just like a stock cart,If someone didn't know,they would think the cart is stock if you just take off normal and keep the throttle limited to about 1/4 or so.If you floor it off the line,it takes off fast,but still smooth,not a hard-pull,then the secondary upshifts and it roars to life.I set the spring on 4(couldn't read the letter on the sheave).I rotated it to the next ramp.It Revs a little,shifts decent,but winds out faster than before(It was working decent,but I don't know where it was set,it popped apart and I didn't look).I wound the Stock TXT Primary 1 full turn,no real difference from stock.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

What primary do you have, does it have a big spring in it? That is what you are looking for you need to make that spring longer or shim it longer. Not stronger, just longer. This will delay engagement and cause it to rev a little first. You can have it engage at 3K and burn the tires but you will hate driving it that way. I once had a friend put a sled spring and weights in an old 2 stroke ezgo, it would engage so hard it stood on the rear bumper with two guys sitting on it...no kidding. It didn't go any faster but sure looked funny. If you have that kind of spring in the primary try to find or make a washer that size about 1/8" thick. You can try to stretch the spring if its wimpy enough to do so I did my secondary in a vice. If your primary does not have the big spring up the center then this will not work. Most spring kits for primaries are just a longer spring that does this. With a yamaha only the original G1 had a spring in it, they don't have springs now. Many ezgo and CC do have a spring in the primary.

On some old sleds you could buy a 'hog ring' at the hardware store for a couple bucks. I think they use them for ropes. Anyway they were the size you just filed the center out a little and they fit right on a comet clutch and shimmed the spring in the primary about 1/8 it was perfect. It added at least 500rpm to the holeshot.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!