lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
oliver28472
Getting Wild

Default KF 82 Starting issues

My '89 is getting harder to start. My usual routine is floor it for a few seconds to get things pumping and then slowly let up on the pedal until almost all the way up and it will sputter. Usually have to do this several times to get going. Also I have noticed that when the engine stops it makes a "huff" sound as it stops. It starts and runs fine after it is warmed up. Any thoughts?
oliver28472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: KF 82 Starting issues

compression compression , check your compression it sounds as if your headgasket or valves are leaking , when you floor it and then let up your dumping gas until theirs enough to to catch it over with just enough compression to get it to fire. the shutdown wheez is a good indicator of this.
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
oliver28472
Getting Wild

Thanks, I've got a gauge and will check the compression. If I remember correctly isn't 100 lbs the OK number?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i think 90-120 is the range also depending on the fuel your using you may have a clogged low speed jet in the carb , but that still would not explain the wheez
Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
oliver28472
Getting Wild

Thanks, any advice on replacing the head gasket? Is it easier to do it in frame or should I pull the motor?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Was your compression low?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
dirtmanmartin
Getting Wild

Club Car

Replacing head gasket is rather easy in frame. Just did mine on 84 gas cc....kf82. Remove cover plate, flywheel cover, coil/rev limiter, generator motor and belt, spark plug and wire. Loosen head bolts in sequence per manual, remove head, clean chambers and head gasket surfaces. Reinstall head and torque bolts to 18 lbs in sequence per manual. If you don't have the sequence, I can scan and send a copy from my manual.
While you have the head off, I recommend checking intake and exhaust valves to make sure they are closing all the way. Bring piston to TDC which closes valves. Spray a little WD-40 around them to see if anything leaks past them.
dirtmanmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
oliver28472
Getting Wild

Thanks for all the replies, I did check the compression a couple hours ago and it was a little over 100. I'm going to do the head gasket anyway, in the frame.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Why?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

well since you have eliminated compression as the problem lets pretend that it was a problem and fix it anyways in hopes that it majically fixes the root problem .

dont replace the head gasket that is not the problem , find the problem and fix the problem. if you have 100 psi thats more than enough for this to run.

the compression was the first step in this puzzle , now we move on to intake and exhaust, 1st is the carb clean and operating correctly and sealed to the block, when you get the wheez is it from the carb or the exhaust. second soak the exhaust nuts with some penetrating oil and wait 4 hours for it to work then remove the exhaust pipe from the engine and check for clogged up with carbon.

Spock Prime: Good luck. Spock: If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car