lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Brakes Question

I just put a 6" lift on my cart and now the brakes are not releasing 100%. When I did the rear leafs I remember lowering the engine cradle before I disconnected the brakes, not all the way, but I did put a bit of strain on them. I wouldn't have thought it was enough to damage them. I lifted the cradle back up and disconnected them.

When I hit the gas to release the parking brake they release part way, but not all the way. Easiest way to describe it is when the brake is released 100% on flat concrete, you can push the cart and it will roll a few inches before it stops. When mine release now, it stops as soon as you stop pushing, so there's a grab there. I can go under the cart and pull the levers on each side (back fo the wheel) by hand and they will release all the way. What should I be looking at to fix this?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Brakes Question

I'm not certain on this, but before installing my lift I read that on some CC's, the brake cables will be tight after installation. Some suggested moving the passenger cable to the drivers side and vice versa or buying longer cables. I didn't have to modify mine, but that may be an option.

You may want to see what others suggest before doing anything or try searching to see what you can find.
mndanielsncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

one of our sponsors carries a cable extender kit to work with your lift kit.
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I'll have to look into that kit. I'm hoping someone else who had this issue on their cart can give me a "hey I've been there, just do this and it'll fix it." But that sort of makes sense that the cable might be stretched now that its lifted, I just didn't expect it would be an issue. But since I can pull the brakes off by hand by reaching behind the rear wheels and the brakes then stay released I figured it might be something else. Thought being that if the cable was so tight wouldn't the brakes stay partially engaged no matter what?

What actual mechanism releases the brakes? Is it a spring inside the hub where the shoes are?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Maybe this thread should be moved to the lifted carts section. If any mods feel this to be a good idea please be my guest.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuckbuild View Post
one of our sponsors carries a cable extender kit to work with your lift kit.
I've seen the L-bracket that lots of cart suppliers sell. Where does it mount? Up near the pedal?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What happens if you loosen up your brake adjusters inside the hubs alittle bit? Just a thought. never had and thing like that with my six inch lift, also added one more inch myself in the back still no problems
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

that wont work, they will just adjust themselves back up, are the cables too tight now? you can get under the cart and loosen up the cables by backing off the center pivot adjustment, its right there where the two cables come together. Look at the long threaded bolt there and you can try to loosen that up to take tension off your cables
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Cables actually seem loose. Messed with the center pivot nuts and not getting anywhere. Still have to pull on each side behind the wheel to get the brakes released. Been messing around for about an hour.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Now brake pedal wants to lock into park as soon as its depressed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car