lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Free Bling!!!!

So I was bored this weekend and decided to take the steering wheel of my cart to give it a fresh coat of paint since it was a bit faded from all it's years in the sun. After some cursing, hammering, rubber mallet work, more cursing, some angry hammering and a final blow from the rubber mallet the steering wheel launched off the steering shaft, over the seat back and onto the garage floor. Nothing to it!!

I was unsure what I wanted to do with the steering shaft cover while the wheel was off. Should I repaint it, leave it as is, buy a cover.... Well that was all answered when I slid the cover off.

The bare steering shaft was in great shape and just begging for a little TLC. I started with a green scotch brite pad and started "sanding", running longways as opposed to around the steering shaft. After about 10-15 minutes it was looking pretty good and I probably could have left it as it was at that point but I can never leave well enough alone so out came the polish.

After a few rounds of polishing an buffing the end result was an awesome looking polished steering shaft for a total investment of.......... nothing but a little elbow grease.

Save the 30/40 bucks they charge for a polished cover and instead use that 30 bucks for something to put in your cupholders!!

(ps -- do you know how hard it was to write all that out while avoiding the phrase "polishing the shaft"!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polished steering before.jpg (172.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg polished steering.jpg (163.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg polished steering (2).jpg (193.3 KB, 0 views)
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Re: Free Bling!!!!

Dang, I forgot the best part of the story!!

The next day while we were outside playing I found the perfect use for that old steering shaft cover......

My up an coming hall of famer is gonna need a real bat now!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jacoby tee.jpg (83.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

Money saving mods are the best kind, especially a tow for one deal! I would like to do mine if I could get the steering wheel off
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hold up....what year is that power wheels club car? Plan on lifting for the boy? Maybe just a battery drop for more speed....
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcar5 View Post
Money saving mods are the best kind, especially a tow for one deal! I would like to do mine if I could get the steering wheel off
Mine was a bear to get off too. Take the bolt off, hit the end of the bolt with a drift and a sledge while putting your feet on the cowl and applying upward pressure with your thigh's , let it soak in some PB Blaster, hit the back of the wheel with a rubber mallet. I did all of those over the course of a few different days as I tinkered with it while doing other things. Finally I decided to bear down and stay at it until it was off. Hitting the back with a rubber mallet was what finally got it free.

As for the mini cart for the boy, that was a gem I found on the local Craigslist and snagged for 70 bucks. He loves it and busts it out whenever we're outside. I offered to paint it up to match daddy's but he said "I like white, leave it white" so that was that. For right now it's fast enough for him, he just turned 3 and hasn't yet mastered driving in reverse. Any faster and we'd probably be in the ER with some vehicle vs pedestrian impacts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jacoby cart.jpg (144.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg jacoby cart (2).jpg (148.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

Great post.

I was thinking about a new steering wheel and spent some time this week trying to get mine off. After much PB spray and busted knuckles I decided to wrap it!! I may try again

Thanks

(ps -- do you know how hard it was to write all that out while avoiding the phrase "polishing the shaft"!!)
FUNNY
Springlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^^^

Keep after the steering wheel, you'll get it. Be prepared to get angry though!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car