lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
TNT99
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 96 TXT burns reed switch

I have a 96 TXT wiring basket case. I replaced the F&R switch and rewired most according to schematic.It came with both reed switch (wired) and charge port fuse (not wired). The fuse cover got hot at some point and melted a bit. The reed switch was bad so I replaced it. When I powered up the first time the new reed switch went up in smoke??

Any thoughts?
TNT99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 TXT burns reed switch

Double check your wiring! Here's a link to the wiring diagrams: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-diagrams.html
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
TNT99
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Its a 96 non PDS (no tow run switch) don't know the controller number?
Also don't know why it has a fused link not hooked up and a reed switch that was hooked up? which way is correct?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The Reed switch was a misguided effort to prevent the cart from being driven away with the charger attached. It was eliminated in later model years.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "fused link".
In later model years the Reed switch was replace with a fuse that fit in the same physical location.
Also, there is a 50A or 60A in-line fuse that is typically located between the white wire from the charge receptacle to the main positive terminal of the battery pack.

As for the Reed switch blowing, check the polarity of the diode on the solenoid's small terminals. If it is backwards, it will take out the Reed switch.
The banded end should be connected to the small terminal with the red wires (+) attached.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
TNT99
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Johnnie B the fused link I'm referring to is the 50 or 60 amp fuse your referring to.I just checked and the banded end is on the + side of the solenoid.
Maybe I should discard the reed switch and wire in the fuse? I still need to know why it blows the reed!!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT99 View Post
Johnnie B the fused link I'm referring to is the 50 or 60 amp fuse your referring to.I just checked and the banded end is on the + side of the solenoid.
Maybe I should discard the reed switch and wire in the fuse? I still need to know why it blows the reed!!
We are in the same boat on this one.
A shorted diode, like a diode installed the wrong way, can take out a Reed switch, so check the diode.
Other than that, there has to be a direct current path to the negative side of the battery pack that doesn't go through the solenoid's coil.

Try disconnecting the black wires on the solenoid's other small terminal and measure between the battery pack's main positive terminal and the small wire coming out of the charge receptacle, the one attached to the blown Reed switch. If you get a voltage reading, something is wired wrong.

----------
As for the fuse in the white (+) wire in the charging loop.
If you have kids around that might insert a metal object into the charge receptacle, you need the fuse installed.
Otherwise, there is little need for the fuse since most chargers have fused outputs and the fuses are lower amp rated than that fuse.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO